• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Talk to me about power steering pumps

Yooper74

74 with a noisy power steering pump that probably needs a rebuild. Trying to decide if I want to save it our just get a new one. I have no need for anything to extreme. I'll be running 33-34" tires and it'll be a highway cruiser.

I rebuilt and changed the turns ratio on my steering box. Almost feel bad hooking up the old pump to it since it looks so nice.

blue top 2.jpg

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The saginaw pump is best for really any application which would require a new bracket.
Second is the Explorer pump if you have the serpentine system?

The stock pumps were usually whiny and noisy even with stock tires IMO.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Your old pump will likely contaminate your new box. A Saginaw style pump is a simple and great upgrade over the stock pump. An inline filter is good insurance too.

Mark

OP
OP
Y

Yooper74

actually never thought about the contamination possibility. Don't want that to happen. Good point.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
If you don't mind using a non stock pump, then definitely go with the Saginaw. I'm trying to keep my engine bay looking mostly stock, and have suffered through several Thompson style new and rebuilt pumps in recent years. This is on a vehicle that only gets a few hundred miles a year.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wouldn't call a saginaw non-stock. Ford used them in a lot of vehicles. Just not the Bronco.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wouldn't call a saginaw non-stock. Ford used them in a lot of vehicles. Just not the Bronco.

Very true - and for seemingly random reasons. For example, they used Saginaw pumps in the vans for many years while using Thompson and C-II pumps in the pickups. Why???? Also used them in many full-size cars in the 70s.

Todd Z.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Very true - and for seemingly random reasons. For example, they used Saginaw pumps in the vans for many years while using Thompson and C-II pumps in the pickups. Why???? Also used them in many full-size cars in the 70s.

Todd Z.

Why? Because it's FORD... :( I am often amazed at what strange and different things Ford engineers did on production vehicles.... no ryhme or reason

1970 Palmer

Why? Because it's FORD... :( I am often amazed at what strange and different things Ford engineers did on production vehicles.... no ryhme or reason

In any corporation I think the front line engineers only make a small percentage of the choices.

It's really the "bean counters" and the "inventory logistics' guys" that make most of the final choices.

Just my guess

John