• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tapered reamer

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas
Who has the best price on a quality reamer for the gm tie rod conversion? Gonna go TRO and don't really want to use the inserts unless I have to.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I don't think it really matters, I'd search for the cheapest one as you'll only use it once.

OP
OP
Biohazard

Biohazard

Loc.
Central Arkansas

If I have to, I'll go that route, but was hoping to find one of the cheap ones I've noticed some members rave about.

It looks like it may be a moot point, though, because a generous member has offered to loan me one for the cost of shipping.

I swear, man, since I started hanging out with you guys I have met some of the most honest, giving people. Just when I was ready to give up on humanity, i run across people like that and my faith is restored.
;D

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Heck Yeah! The people on this site are amazing! I go on other forums and this one is hands down the best. Not even comparable. ;D

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Go easy and slow with that reamer and use lots of cutting oil.

That's another good reason to get a better quality reamer, you can use it more than once or help someone else with it.

turbotim2

Hey Bio,
I just did this conversion over the weekend. A couple of things to consider:

1. If you ever have to change the RH tierod end, you'll need to ream the new one to fit. I wasn't sure if the person is giving you their reamer or letting you borrow it.

2. I have read that the 71-1/2 to 75 D44 TRE holes are larger than the 76/77 and reaming from the top could give you an hourglass shaped hole for the TRE to sit in. Some have been OK with it some couldn't get the movement out and had to drill and use the inserts.

I used this reamer, made in the USA and it worked great:

http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Taper-...&qid=1450094071&sr=8-1&keywords=yankee+reamer