• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TBI vs. EFI Pros? - Cons?

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
I want to go Fuel Injection.... What are you doing? TBI (Affordable Fuel Injection, Howell)... Or 87-93 Mustang EFI. (with RJM harness..)

Is one better than another and why...?? Are there performance differences?
Is one easier than another? (Install -troubleshooting)

Any Tips or Tricks??

Thanks

Aaron

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the TBI kits offer easier installation. I don't think you can find one car manufacturer that has offered a TBI system in the past 15 or so years. There are a lot of advantages to sequencial port injection systems. Lots of things like dry runner flow vs wet runner flow, better fuel distribution, etc. Many of the advantages might be related to emissions and economy.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I might as well chime in. You've been around Broncos with enough info to know that it's probably in thousands of threads, with quite a few dedicated to just the pros-and-cons aspect. And you're still asking, so here goes:

Cons: EFI is more expensive than just running what you've already got.
Pros: It's just better, that's why.
;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Ok, so sarcasm aside, I like the Howell and other TBI setups, but I think the majority here are using Ford factory stuff for the basic reasons of, less expensive (usually), and lots of support here and elsewhere, including pre-made harnesses. Not cheap to get junkyard or Craigslist Ford stuff ($free to $500 for used, or up to $1500 if you buy a lot of cool new stuff maybe?), but not the same as buying all new ($1200 to $4000) either.
And any one of them will run circles around 99% of all carbs out there when off-roading, or at altitude, or in inclement weather.

And besides, going EFI (any kind) is a good reason to upgrade your electrical system so as to take full benefit from all your new electronic stuff.

As far as your "tips or tricks" question, that has to wait until you decide which way you're going to go. And, if Ford stuff, which specific vehicle you use as a donor.

I'm sure some of the TBI crowd will pipe up with their experiences too, but check out some of the threads in the meantime. I think Dan Wheeler or Heuss33 installed a FAST system just a few months ago and was having some fun with it (after he got the kinks worked out that is) and it runs well.
Performance-wise, it's hard to tell from what resources we've got here. Seat-of-the-pants dynos, being as subjective as they are, and individual setups being so different, the answers likely won't lead to any consistent conclusions.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you wheel too, the old reliability and ease of returning to stock on the trail thoughts might arise as well.
To my way of thinking, even the (visually) simpler TBI systems are still fully electronic, so don't really offer any simpler way of fixing it on the side of the trail. If a single sensor fails, most have the limp-home mode that will keep it running. Just not to optimum specs. But if something like a fuel pump or ECU fails, it doesn't matter what you're running.

Just thought I'd throw that in there in case you were thinking it. Yes, it's more to go wrong, but they've proven themselves VERY reliable over the years, miles and abuse heaped on them.
So I look at them like an electronic ignition. I'll put up with not being able to hack together a set of points, rig up a fuel drip system, and figure out a way to get home if anything does happen, but love the way EFI runs under normal circumstances.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that I think of it, we DID rig a drip fuel system in a Rover with MPFI in Moab a few years ago during the Bronco run.
Water bottle, some spare ARB line (thanks Jerry) a free hand (mine) and an available port on the upper plenum, and we got back into town.
Ran like crap, and some of the Broncos had to run blockade duty so we could blast through stop signs in town without stopping, but we made it!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is one easier than another? (Install -troubleshooting)

Forgot that part Aaron. Yeah, I'd have to say that a store-bought TBI based setup would have to be the easiest to hook up and get running.
No upper parts removal except for the carburetor.
Bolt new unit on and plug in the harness.
Finish the harness on the chassis side.
Add some sensors (maybe have to drill a hole or two?).
Fire it up and go.

Probably a bit easier than the typical Mustang or Explorer parts build.

Paul

=== sorry for the multiple posts, but as usual, I always think of more crap after hitting send ;D ===

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It all boils down to what engine you install any setup on. On nearly stock setups either works fine but start modifing stuff and the TBI setups need the computer remapped and hopefully its remapped right. Been a few people on here with howell setups that still havent gotten it right. But the FAST system seems to be a very tuneable setup.
Where if you go with the ford (mustang) setup you can run quite a few mods and the computer will self adjust(of course it has its limits as well).

As for perfromance differances well I really doubt you'd see much if any pefromance differance. Especailly in a bronco application. Take a well tuned carb or a EFI/TBI setup and there is virtually no performance differances. In the same note there will only be a minimal mileage increase with EFI/TBI. If you were all out racing then you may realize a differance. Even then it still seems that carbs rule in the all out quest for HP.
It's really only the extreme angles and altitude changes where EFI outshines a carb.

Lastly is cost While I would say that it can be fairly close in actual costs you should be able to pickup all the ford stuff for dirt cheap. but in the end i'd say most people end up spending the same amount on there Ford conversion as they would a TBI setup although overall I'd rather have the Ford EFI.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You can buy a complete running wreck with a good engine/wiring harness/PCM for less than $1K and swap the whole mess into your eB in a few weeks. That will make replacement parts cheap, plentiful in the JYs, and easy to find over-the-counter anywhere. It also makes finding someone who knows what's what very easy since you can tell them "diagnose it like a _____________" (maybe '99 Mountaineer, for example). And you get to use the factory manuals for the donor vehicle to maintain/repair/troubleshoot your eB. Yet another benefit is that it'll be a MUCH lower-mileage & better-built engine than your original, since it'll be a few decades younger.

I don't know why anyone puts EFI onto an old engine, but obviously, many people do.
=== sorry for the multiple posts, but as usual, I always think of more crap after hitting send ;D ===
Have you ever noticed that "EDIT" button at the bottom of your posts? ;)

CosmicArkie

If you do go with a donor vehicle, make sure you get a pre-PATS system. When I went with a 2003 donor Mustang, I was blissfully unaware of that little issue. Took me a _long_ time to figure out what the problem(s) was/were. Course that was before I discovered the Forum. He he he.

OP
OP
Daddy4zack

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
I don't know why anyone puts EFI onto an old engine, but obviously, many people do.

I was thinking of putting EFI on the engine that is in the bronco now.. I have EFI off an 89 Mustang.. Or.. I would go TBI and place it on the current engine... OR build an 5.0 Roller(89 Mustang) and drop in with the Mustang EFI.

Aaron

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I was thinking of putting EFI on the engine that is in the bronco now.. I have EFI off an 89 Mustang.. Or.. I would go TBI and place it on the current engine... OR build an 5.0 Roller(89 Mustang) and drop in with the Mustang EFI.

Aaron

Put (Ford) EFI on your current engine, everything will be in place WHEN you build the roller motor ;D