• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tcase-driveshaft trouble...

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Well i changed out all the drivetrain mounts hopein that was the issue of the "clunking/rattling" noise thinkin it was a binding problem... Well it still does it, and i took the rear driveshaft off even tho i got a twin stick and drove it in front 2hi/lo puttin a series of diff loads on it, accel/decel and applying the brakes ect... Well its louder and i took off the sheet metal for the hurst floor conversion so i can see the front driveshaft, Well i notice and in/out movement but i can't see the output of the T case (earlier i inspected the tcase and it checked out fine) Im going to rebuild both driveshafts so i can rule that out as a freak problem (i wish) :mad: any input would be great thank you....

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Can you describe the noise a little more? when exactly does it occur? Can you make the noise when parked, pushing the bronco back and forth while in gear? jumping on the bumper? pushing side to side on the fenders? One thing I've found is that it's difficult to locate the source of noises sometimes.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Could be just about anything from backlash in the rear being wrong to bad radius arm mounts.
And when you say you see in/out movement, exactly how much movement?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Hmm, reading your previous posts...... i see you broke rear axle, was the detroit in there at the time? axle breakage fequently grenades detroits.

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Well it makes the noise only when there is a load on the drivetrain accel, decel, as far as breaking an axle that was a long time ago, and its not just the rear end since i took the rear driveshaft off, Ive had 2 diff 3rd members in it so far, the first one was damaged prior to install and it cracked the cap in half thus the adjuster/bearin poped out of it and its not making that noise, I broke the axle in 2hi and i found out it was a ghetto shortened axle (i can see the welds on it) but i pinpointed the general sound from the T-case/transmission area. as far as radius arms im stuck since i have the 12" extended arms (cut the orginals off), and the in and out movement is rapid and happens every revolution of the driveshaft like a continous clunck/rattle, I would say maybe a 1/8-1/4 inch movement in and out (its had driving with a front locker when its wet outside, trying to stay on the road while looking at it at the sametime lmao) I wish i had a good camera so i could record it... ?:?

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Looks new inside. I have an idea that might work, Ima pull off the output jokes and check for play in them since the output seal for the front is leaking... i think the yokes being loose could cause premature wear of the seal and case a binding issue that is making the noise, I HOPE!!!

Hazegray

How are the U-joints? Could be a rusty/damaged pinion on the u-joint binding when turning revolutions...

OP
OP
ugly_od_eb

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Well this is what i found out.... the U joints are fine but worn, (front) and the CV joint in the front is shot and the driveshaft wont retract/extend and that might be the binding issue so ima unseize both driveshafts degrease the outside and clean them, new U joints and CV joints for both sides and grease the piss out of it.... grrr i hate driveshafts :mad: