• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tear Drop Trailer

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
brian72 said:
http://www.tab-rv.com/index.php

These look awesome for pulling with the bronco. I was interested after I saw the pic of the yellow one at SOB.

That's funny...my girlfriend was driving I-5 between Eugene and Albany on Saturday and saw that yellow Bronco with the tear drop trailer and called me all excited to tell me about it. ;D I found the same link you did and it looks like a pretty slick setup if you're looking for a small, lightweight camp trailer.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I just checked with a local dealer by phone. They start at about 10K and go up to 13K. Not very cheap...but very cool. I think I remember seeing a thread or an ad (Bronco Driver?) where someone built their own tear drop trailer. For the $, even though they appear to be very nice, also the salesman said they tow like a dream, very smooth, not squirrelly, I think a military trailer with a fold out platform would sweet as well.

Cross-country though, the TaB would be nice--different climates, rain, etc...and probably wouldnt hit you too hard on gas mileage.

X53Gunner

Loc.
Greenville, MI
I'm building a mini one thats big enough for me to sleep in to pull behind my motorcycle. Then will be building one to tow behind my bronco. So I figured I would help everyone out and send you to the site that i'm learning everything from. Its all the info you will need for building one. Maybe I can finally help out you guys for a change....LOL
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Last edited:

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
X53Gunner said:
I'm building a mini one thats big enough for me to sleep in to pull behind my motorcycle. Then will be building one to tow behind my bronco. So I figured I would help everyone out and send you to the site that i'm learning everything from. Its all the info you will need for building one. Maybe I can finally help out you guys for a change....LOL
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Cool Site thanks for the link!!!!

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I wonder what the costs are after completing a DIY trailer build?

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
brian72 said:
I wonder what the costs are after completing a DIY trailer build?

We had a guy in our campground last week in a tear drop. He pulls it behind his hotrod to shows and races. He built it himself for about 2K. It was small but he said it did great for he and his son. Had a real nice kitchen set up in the back where it opened up.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Here's a link to a military trailer site.
http://groups.msn.com/M416
The M416 is the military number for that little 1/4 ton rig. Nice thing about it is that the wheels are a 5 on 5 1/2" pattern. I have 35"r's on mine. Doing a spring over is a great way to increase it's off roadiblity.
I put a camper shell on mine, off an old Datsun pickup. The length was right but the wideth wasn't. To correct this I had two pieces of steel bent in a 90* angle and bolted them to the sides of the trailer. The shell then set down nicely on all four sides of the trailer.The original trailers didn't have tail gates. Some people cut a tail gate into it. Mine wasn't cut so to make entry into the trailer easier I put a piano hing on the driver's side and now the top opens like a piano top. The sides are angled in as it goes down. There's a perfect place to have a sheet of ply wood there. With that you can have storage below the ply wood as well as on top OR use the top for a sleeping platform. The trailer box is 6' long so you long legged guys may have trouble with that.

Last edited:

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
----I'm sure alot people already know ,but for more info or ideas just type in "canned ham camping trailers" since that's what everyone called the originals back in the 50's that these somewhat resemble---the older ones really do look like a big danish canned ham going down the road

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Bart said:
Here's a link to a military trailer site.
http://groups.msn.com/M416
The M416 is the military number for that little 1/4 ton rig. Nice thing about it is that the wheels are a 5 on 5 1/2" pattern. I have 35"r's on mine. Doing a spring over is a great way to increase it's off roadiblity.
I put a camper shell on mine, off an old Datsun pickup. The length was right but the wideth wasn't. To correct this I had two pieces of steel bent in a 90* angle and bolted them to the sides of the trailer. The shell then set down nicely on all four sides of the trailer.The original trailers didn't have tail gates. Some people cut a tail gate into it. Mine wasn't cut so to make entry into the trailer easier I put a piano hing on the driver's side and now the top opens like a piano top. The sides are angled in as it goes down. There's a perfect place to have a sheet of ply wood there. With that you can have storage below the ply wood as well as on top OR use the top for a sleeping platform. The trailer box is 6' long so you long legged guys may have trouble with that.

I have a small millitary trailer but I don't think its 6'. It does pull really well behind the Bronco though. I would love to rig one of those tent tops on it like in some of the pics in that link. That with a dog box underneath and I'm ready for some serious hunting trips. :cool: