• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

temp guage

broncobusted

Hey all i have a question about my temp guage. All other guages are working but the temp guage and this worries me. I replaced the thermometer on the intake but still no reading. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Dave

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
two things you can do real quick.remove wire from sender,connect volt meter to the wire and see if you have a pulsing voltage on wire.it will pulse from about 4.5-6 or so volts.if this is good,did you put Teflon tape on sender?if you did this will not let the sender get a ground to work gauge.next if you see the voltage,turn key to acc and ground the sender wire and if gauge goes full scale.if no voltage there,check wiring at back of gauge.have some one there to tell you if gauge goes full scale.leaving it grounded to long may damage gauge.

OP
OP
broncobusted

broncobusted

Thanks oldguy i did put teflon tape on it. I will remove that and perform those voltage checks after work today. I will post result on this thread.

Again thanks
Dave

OP
OP
broncobusted

broncobusted

Well i removed the teflon tape and checked the voltage to ground with engine running. I did see the voltage moving around like you said it should oldguy. I was not able to do the wire grounding as i did not have a second set of eyes. I still didnt get a reading on the guage so im guessing its probably bad. Is there any possibility that the fact i dont have any lights on my speedometer or any of my guages has any thing to do with it ? Still trying to figure that out.

Thanks
Dave

OP
OP
broncobusted

broncobusted

Just wanted to say thanks oleguy74 after i did the ground test and the guage went full on it stareted reading. Must have been stuck or something after twelve years of sitting. Thanks for the advise

Dave