• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TFS-5141B003-M61 vs Edelbrock 60369, need a head guru's advice

dao1980

Loc.
Chattanooga
Hi errebody, I'm pulling some GT-40 irons off my truck's engine to add to my 351w build that the Bronco is patiently waiting on me to finish.

I've got a leaky valve seal somewhere on the GT-40's, and since I can't see easily through the double springs I'm running, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by upgrading the truck to fresh aluminum heads, and get the Bronco's future engine away from the E7's it came with.

My question is this, I'm looking at the TrickFlow and the Edelbrock bare heads, and I like them both, but I'm not sure which would be better for truck use, or if it really doesn't matter and I should go with the TrickFows due to the $170 cheaper overall price.

My GT-40's have 63cc combustion chambers
TrickFlow - 61cc
Edebrock - 60cc

I look forward to the small bump in compression either way, and hope that the new heads being aluminum will keep me out of any pre-detonation under the loads that a truck sees from time to time.

Both have 170cc intake runners, but the TrickFow heads have slightly larger intake valves (2.02)

The 351w in the truck is very fresh with good compression, stock bottom end and pistons, with a nice Comp xtreme energy truck cam. Good lift (.512) moderate duration, and 114 degrees of lobe separation (I forget all the numbers but can pull them up if needed)
It's running a mass air conversion (A9P), Edel truck perfromer intake combo, bbk dual throttle body, 24lb injectors, headers, etc.
All the goodies to make it pull the bronco well, and feel really athletic in traffic and on the interstate.. blah blah blah... all of that good stuff.

Again, I understand if in reality, the cylinder head guru's all say "it's a wash" and that either of those head part numbers would serve me well and that I should just get whichever is on sale at the moment.

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask, and I always appreciate the opportunity to pull from the real world experience of others.

noslo5o

The trickflow head part # you listed have O-Ring Grooves machined into the deck for boosted or nitrous applications. If your install them on an 351 you will need to drill out the head bolt holes to 17/32".

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
The trickflow head part # you listed have O-Ring Grooves machined into the deck for boosted or nitrous applications. If your install them on an 351 you will need to drill out the head bolt holes to 17/32".

Can you just drill them out with no issues?

I have a set of AFR 165s that were made with small head bolt holes for a 302/5.0. Throwing them on a stock 351, but need to open the bolt holes.

Sorry for the hijack.

Todd

OP
OP
dao1980

dao1980

Loc.
Chattanooga
Thanks for the heads up noslo, I'll make sure and talk to them before I place an order to make sure I'm getting the exact part I'm wanting.

I do remember that the GT-40 bolt holes had to be opened up to go on the 351 as well.

I think I'm going ahead with the Trick Flow heads anyways, everyone I've talked to says the twisted wedge design has allot of pleased ford folks behind it, and since they're slightly cheaper than the Edels it just seems right.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I really loved my trickflows. I had the O-ring heads, bad choice. Standard gaskets were a better choice.