• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TFS R intake, hood clearance issue on 351W

latrucker

Contributor
Looking for a little help from the 351W gurus!!! I'm running a 351W with the Trick Flow 11R 190 heads and Trick Flow R intake (the EFI version). I'm running a 1" body lift. My hood is the Bronco Designs mid-rise premium fiberglass hood and it looks like I am about a 1/2" shy of clearing the TPS. What are my options besides getting a taller hood or a 2" body lift. I really like this hood and would like to keep it if possible and I don't care for the look of excessive fender well clearance with a 2" body lift. I know this limits my options on solutions but was hoping there is something else I could try like maybe some lower motor mounts if that even exists. I have about 1" of clearance between the lower serpentine pulley and the cross member so I have the room to drop the engine down some. Has anyone used the Trick Flow intake on a 351W and cleared the hood, if so which hood are you running?

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Here are a few pics of my situation

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 90

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
NO HELP here as I m running the mustang intake on mine..but DAMN that looks great!

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
NO HELP here as I m running the mustang intake on mine..but DAMN that looks great!
Thanks Tasker, had a lightning lower that would have cleared but didnt think it would breath enough air for the 11R 190 heads. Found that R intake brand new in the box on marketplace a couple of weeks ago, I'm still in shock as those things are no where to be found!!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Man, that does stick up darn high! Looks nice though.

I think your only choices are more BL, different hood, different intake or a different lower at least since that one looks really high, or hood bubble..

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I feel your pain to a degree, I am trying to get my 5.8 setup with a lighting lower and tubular upper while trying to figure out the right fuel rails. the truck fuel rails require at least a 1.5" spacer and I am not sure that's enough. Thats said I also am using the proflow style hood and a 2" body lift, so I should be good height.

Great looking setup you have there!

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have that exact intake on a 408W (in other words 351) . Wild Horses “Highlander” hood that looks a lot like yours. Accufab throttle body using an early 90’s style Mustang 5.0 style throttle position sensor. Clears with a 1” body lift. I’ve posted photos here before somewhere. Can dig some up if you’d like. Getting intake plumbing to clear was interesting.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
By the way, are you running roller rockers with the stock valve covers?
Yes, I am running the Scorpion race series. They are more low profile than most. The vlave covers are from a fox body mustang, had to do some trimming in the baffle area on the passenger side cover to make them work. They fit really well as i had a hard time getting any covers to work on the drivers side. Had problems with hitting the firewall and the shifter linkage with all others i tried, it was a PITA!!!! But these fit like they were made for a Bronco with a 351W!!!! And they are cheap on Ebay.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I have that exact intake on a 408W (in other words 351) . Wild Horses “Highlander” hood that looks a lot like yours. Accufab throttle body using an early 90’s style Mustang 5.0 style throttle position sensor. Clears with a 1” body lift. I’ve posted photos here before somewhere. Can dig some up if you’d like. Getting intake plumbing to clear was interesting.
I hope I have the same results as you as for as clearance. My intake piping should'nt be as much of a challenge, I am using the Holley terminator Xmax which does not use a Mass airflow sensor. Hoping that will make it easier. How do you like the R intake? I hoping all these hurdles are worth the results.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yes, I am running the Scorpion race series. They are more low profile than most. The vlave covers are from a fox body mustang, had to do some trimming in the baffle area on the passenger side cover to make them work. They fit really well as i had a hard time getting any covers to work on the drivers side. Had problems with hitting the firewall and the shifter linkage with all others i tried, it was a PITA!!!! But these fit like they were made for a Bronco with a 351W!!!! And they are cheap on Ebay.
Hmm, going to have to locate a set. Rarely see them around my area much anymore.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I feel your pain to a degree, I am trying to get my 5.8 setup with a lighting lower and tubular upper while trying to figure out the right fuel rails. the truck fuel rails require at least a 1.5" spacer and I am not sure that's enough. Thats said I also am using the proflow style hood and a 2" body lift, so I should be good height.

Great looking setup you have there!
I have that same intake setup on my 408. I used 5.0 fuel rails from a 96 Bronco and put longer crossover hoses on it. Had to use a 1/2” spacer to clear.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks Tasker, had a lightning lower that would have cleared but didnt think it would breath enough air for the 11R 190 heads. Found that R intake brand new in the box on marketplace a couple of weeks ago, I'm still in shock as those things are no where to be found!!
I’m a little jealous that you found that intake! The upper is easy to find but the lower is basically nonexistent!

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
I’m a little jealous that you found that intake! The upper is easy to find but the lower is basically nonexistent!
Yeah I still can’t believe it. Came with a 75mm TB, fuel rails, Kirban f/p regulator and all ARP hardware. Best part is I sold my lightning lower for the same amount I paid for the whole TFS deal.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I hope I have the same results as you as for as clearance. My intake piping should'nt be as much of a challenge, I am using the Holley terminator Xmax which does not use a Mass airflow sensor. Hoping that will make it easier. How do you like the R intake? I hoping all these hurdles are worth the results.
My engine is a Blueprint 408. It made 470 HP/ 500 ft-lb on their dyno, but that was with a carburetor and open long tube headers. So likely I'm way down on power compared to that. Still, it's no slouch. That said, removing the mass air meter would make almost no difference on intake plumbing in my case. The challenge was the intake itself and the throttle body.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Here you go, all tucked in. Took a few iterations to get the intake plumbing right, but it fits.

Attachments

• IMG_9258.jpeg
    IMG_9258.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 52

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Here you go, all tucked in. Took a few iterations to get the intake plumbing right, but it fits.
“All tucked in” is a VERY apt description! Not sure just how you managed to get everything in there, but kudos to ya. I just thought that maybe engine bay was crowded…I was wrong.

Randy