• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Bronco Ranch Body off restoration has begun lots of Pictures!

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
I’ve owned my bronco for almost 5 years now. This time around I decided I’d pay a little more money to start with something rust free and get the chance to enjoy it a little before I took it to the next level. 4+ years later I’m finally getting to the restoration! In the long run, starting rust free actually saved me some money as the only repair work that’s been needed to the tub is a new Driverside floor pan to replace the previous owners initial repair work. The truck was in 90% original paint so I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about many “surprises” along the way. I bought the truck sight unseen from a guy in Oregon and had it shipped East to New Jersey the following month. I can honestly say that I did not have 1 surprise when the truck showed up or any hiccups for that matter with the whole transaction. Everything was as described and I still consider the previous owner a friend of mine today.
My goal from day 1 was to do a body off restoration with reliability, functionality, and looks as the end result. Although this is not going to be a daily driver, I intend to run the truck 2-3 days a week as I’ve been doing over the past few years.
Over the past 10 years Tom from The Bronco Ranch and I have bought and sold one another many parts (and trucks). He’s become a friend throughout the years and I’ve always gone to him for some of the hard to find pieces, or parts that I’ve needed when mint condition was the only thing I would accept. Tom’s a wealth of knowledge and he’s one of the few that’s interpretation of quality and condition is in line with mine.
I’ve had dozens of conversations with Tom over the past few years about being the one to perform my restoration. Anyone who’s seen his work on his personal trucks knows that he does everything first class. When Tom finally agreed to do it and gave me my time slot I began to collect all the parts I could so we could hit the ground running and that’s exactly what he’s done. I’ll attached a link to The Bronco Ranch www.thebroncoranch.com which is where you can track the progress of “The Jersey Devil” as Tom named it, along with a few other restorations that The Bronco Ranch has going on. I was lucky enough to get a picture of my truck from the original owner way back in the day when it was uncut (Pic 1) and picture 2 is how it looked the day I got it. I’ll be posting pictures as the project moves forward!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
Disassembly pictures

stripping it down.

Attachments

• Stripping down.jpg
    Stripping down.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Stripping down 2.jpg
    Stripping down 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Bracing the body.JPG
    Bracing the body.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Body Stripped out.jpg
    Body Stripped out.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 423
OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
New Floor Pan

Floor pans in!

Attachments

• New Pan.JPG
    New Pan.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 377
  • New Pan 2.JPG
    New Pan 2.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 385
  • floor pan out.JPG
    floor pan out.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 317
  • cutting out pan.jpg
    cutting out pan.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 372
  • old pan.jpg
    old pan.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
Bracing the body and filling screw holes

Getting it ready to lift the body off.

Attachments

• ready to lift Body.JPG
    ready to lift Body.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Bracing.JPG
    Bracing.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 371
  • Bracing the body.JPG
    Bracing the body.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 262
  • fixing old holes.JPG
    fixing old holes.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 262
  • filling holes.JPG
    filling holes.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 241

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Looks good. Take lots of notes and stay both organized and focused, keep plugging away on it and it'll be done in no time! It's addicting too, as soon as your buttoning up that one you'll be on the hunt for another.:-X

OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
Tubs off and Frames Out!

More pictures added

Attachments

• Body off.JPG
    Body off.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 512
  • Tub on the ground.JPG
    Tub on the ground.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Frame only.JPG
    Frame only.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 444
OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
Pics added

Attachments

• Frame cleaned up.jpg
    Frame cleaned up.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 392
  • Frame stripped.jpg
    Frame stripped.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 407
  • tub upside down.jpg
    tub upside down.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Tub Cleaning.jpg
    Tub Cleaning.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 540
OP
OP
CMTBronco

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
I'm about 50 minutes North of Belmar in Clinton, NJ off Rt. 78. Up until recently we had a house in Normandy Beach (about 6 miles from Point Pleasant).

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Just starting mine as well. what did you do to the frame I like the finish

The frame is done in Black Hammerite. I have been using it on frames for years it holds up very well. This paint is a good alternitive to powder coating. The Paint is infused with millions of hardened glass beads and special resin. The good thing about it is its easier to fix than powder coating. Here is a link to it http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44

Tom

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
I’ve owned my bronco for almost 5 years now. This time around I decided I’d pay a little more money to start with something rust free and get the chance to enjoy it a little before I took it to the next level. 4+ years later I’m finally getting to the restoration! In the long run, starting rust free actually saved me some money as the only repair work that’s been needed to the tub is a new Driverside floor pan to replace the previous owners initial repair work. The truck was in 90% original paint so I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about many “surprises” along the way. I bought the truck sight unseen from a guy in Oregon and had it shipped East to New Jersey the following month. I can honestly say that I did not have 1 surprise when the truck showed up or any hiccups for that matter with the whole transaction. Everything was as described and I still consider the previous owner a friend of mine today.
My goal from day 1 was to do a body off restoration with reliability, functionality, and looks as the end result. Although this is not going to be a daily driver, I intend to run the truck 2-3 days a week as I’ve been doing over the past few years.
Over the past 10 years Tom from The Bronco Ranch and I have bought and sold one another many parts (and trucks). He’s become a friend throughout the years and I’ve always gone to him for some of the hard to find pieces, or parts that I’ve needed when mint condition was the only thing I would accept. Tom’s a wealth of knowledge and he’s one of the few that’s interpretation of quality and condition is in line with mine.
I’ve had dozens of conversations with Tom over the past few years about being the one to perform my restoration. Anyone who’s seen his work on his personal trucks knows that he does everything first class. When Tom finally agreed to do it and gave me my time slot I began to collect all the parts I could so we could hit the ground running and that’s exactly what he’s done. I’ll attached a link to The Bronco Ranch www.thebroncoranch.com which is where you can track the progress of “The Jersey Devil” as Tom named it, along with a few other restorations that The Bronco Ranch has going on. I was lucky enough to get a picture of my truck from the original owner way back in the day when it was uncut (Pic 1) and picture 2 is how it looked the day I got it. I’ll be posting pictures as the project moves forward!

Thanks Craig;D
Craigs Bronco is a perfect canidate for restoration, Nice solid bronco, only needing some minor body work and the 40 year old paint & interior freshened up. We are heavy into 2 builds right now, both on about the same time frame. Progress is going well on both. Two builds going on at the same time is nothing less than stressful;D But I have some good help and things are moving Quick. here is the fast link to Craigs bronco on my website. http://thebroncoranch.com/about.html Stay tuned, this is going to be one awesome bronco;D

Tom

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Nice to see another Central Jerseyan! I'm not far from you in Sayreville!

I'm about at the point where I'm goint to strip down my frame, and was wondering what the durability is of the Hammerite. Any issues after a few years or anything? (Since you said you used it before...)

Just curious. Thanks!

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Nice to see another Central Jerseyan! I'm not far from you in Sayreville!

I'm about at the point where I'm goint to strip down my frame, and was wondering what the durability is of the Hammerite. Any issues after a few years or anything? (Since you said you used it before...)

Just curious. Thanks!

I have used the hammerite on all my restorations for the past 10 years. It holds up as good if not better than anything else out there. Plus its easy to work with and not expensive.

Last edited: