• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The mother of all stripped bolts...

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I may be pretty well boned this point, but I figured maybe some ancient guru has had something similar. I'm trying to take my steering wheel off to get to the turn signal switch, and this stripped off bolt is in there from the previous owner... any suggestions to get it out, or should I take it to a professional?

1W3pd0Pr.jpg

yakelys69

Weld a nut to it, apply some surfboard wax while hot, let cool then use a socket.

1970 Palmer

That's likely what happens when the previous mechanic tries to use a puller without threading the bolt all the way into the steering wheel.

I would not try to weld a nut to the threads because it's just thin stamped metal on each side of the hole.

You could check the depth of the other hole, and then drill and tap the hole for a helicoil insert. If you drill "to deep" you will go through into the horn ring plate. If you use a normal bearing puller, you will crack the plastic on the outside of the wheel.

The "Red Neck Method" (without a remover), If you remove the 15/16" steering shaft nut, and then make sure you screw it back on a few threads (for safety), you can place your feet on the floor board, and pull up on the steering wheel. The trick is to apply a firm pressure, and "also wiggle" the steering wheel with the up pressure applied. Note, if you have a perfect original wheel, just use the correct remover

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you tried drilling.

Drill more, step up from about 1/3rd size of bolt, then eventually threaded section will either fall out or you can use an easy out. Once out retap hole.

Jimboss77

Contributor
Loc.
Greenville
It looks like someone already made the first mistake which is free hand drilling a hole and it walked off center. If thats what I’m seeing an ez out at this point won’t work as it will grab the threads you are trying to save. Should be a 5/16-18 thread. A very sharp small pointed punch and hammer may help. Try and get a punch mark started on the thickest part of what’s left of the bolt. Then put the punch at an angle and start tapping with the hammer. You may get lucky and get it loose. I wouldn’t use a helicoil because the hole is meant for a puller. I would suggest a keen-sert but I don’t think you have enough material ‘thickness’ for either one. Good luck.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it is possible to get the steering wheel off if you are lucky. Put the nut back on but don't tighten it. Leave it like 1/4 " away from the steering wheel. Go for a drive and there is a good chance the steering wheel will loosen so make sure it won't come off of the splined shaft. You can try wiggling it up while driving.
There should not be any bolt in there, just a threaded hole for a steering wheel puller.
Good luck

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I've had good luck putting the nut even with the end of the steering shaft and tapping it with a hammer while you put upward pressure on the steering wheel.

Silver dollar

Harbor freight sells a left hand drill bit and screw extractors for about $9.
Sometimes the bolt will back out just using the drill bit.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You might try a slide hammer and bolt it in the good hole. Be gentle and it might loosen up and pop off. If you dont have a slide hammer get a long piece of all thread and build you a redneck one.

Silver dollar

Harbor freight sells a left hand drill bit set with screw extractors for$9.
Sometimes the bolt will back out just using the drill bit.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Looks like the mechanic tried to use the nut that holds the steering wheel on as a guide to keep the puller on the end of the steering shaft. Note the two dimples in the rusty end of the column shaft. He tried twice. The first try didn't hit the center of the shaft so he tried again to make sure it would never come loose. I doubt you could remove what is left of the nut that holds the steering wheel on. I would guess the mechanic rounded off the flats on the nut before he gave up. Probably need a new nut and steering shaft??

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’ve pulled a few using a ratchet strap to pull the wheel out while tapping the shaft with a hammer. Just put the nut on loosely so the wheel doesn’t pop off...

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I would go ahead and finish the mess that you have...

Drill that offset center hole to the next standard size, and tap it. Looks like 1/4x20 from the pic. Center it as best you can, but it's kinda going to go where it wants to go. If you catch some of the steering wheel metal...so be it. Then get a piece of threaded rod and thread it into the newly tapped hole (You want to engage at least 6 threads.)

Then use the correct 5/16 puller bolt in the other hole. Square it up...and see if you can pull the wheel. Don't apply any lateral or uneven force on the puller. As soon as you pull as hard as you dare...swat the puller screw with a steel hammer.

A 1/4 inch threaded rod in grade 5 will proof load at about 2700 lbs, and fail at about 3500 lbs. The 5/16 puller bolt will be good for about double that.
So as long as your threads are deeper than the average hex nut, you will be able to get about 6,000 lbs on the puller.

Once the wheel is off...you can center up the hole, and machine it back to 5/16.

Have fun!

Jfryjfry

I’ve used a small pointed metal grinding bit in a dremel to get an off-center hole back on target. Also to grind away any remnants to remove the piece.

If that is a steering wheel, and the mess is one of the bolts that has been drilled, I’d make sure all of the bolt’s head are gone and try a gear puller to pull on the backside of the wheel

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
As long as there isn't a broken easy out or drill bit stuck in there, you can get a fresh bit carefully centered again and drill it out. Use a center punch and a 1/8 bit to start (and oil), then step up in small increments. At some point the bit will start to hit the threads, and the remnants of the broken bit will be easy to peel out with a pick.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I’ve used a small pointed metal grinding bit in a dremel to get an off-center hole back on target. Also to grind away any remnants to remove the piece.

If that is a steering wheel, and the mess is one of the bolts that has been drilled, I’d make sure all of the bolt’s head are gone and try a gear puller to pull on the backside of the wheel

Similar idea to yours, I have had good luck with a Christmas tree burr grinding bit on a die grinder