• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thermostat problems

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
I just replaced the carb and intake, and everything went very smoothly, but now when sitting at a long light the temp jumps up to about 220, runs about 180 while driving. I wasnt sure which way the thermostat went in during the reconstruction, so could i have put the thermostat in backwards?or could it be sticking closed?or could there be another source of the problem. The upper rad. hose gets really hot, and its very firm when i check after running, Thanks for any help, by the way, i am getting ready to install the new radiator, so hopefully should have a much more dependable system here soon

Brewbro21

The question here is at what temp. did it run before you touched it? If it was no where near 220 then you might have put the thermostat in the wrong way. It all depends what it was like before. That is a simple fix I'd check that before anything else.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd definetly check that thermostat you may also want to make sure your timing is not to far advanced 10-12 deg. is usually good anymore will cause it to run hotter

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Make sure the fan shroud is intact.... Mine would do that before I installed the shroud.

OP
OP
J

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
I definitly checked the obvious, or what is obvious to me i guess, not shroud, full of coolant, but i dont think thermostat is opening up, im sure you guys are right and its a simple fix. I havent checked the timing, but didnt fool with the distributor at all. Ill get something done early this week