• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thief and Shill bidder on ebay selling Bronco parts

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Guys,
I am pretty much 99% sure that a guy selling Bronco parts is either bidding up his own parts that he is selling or has a friend or relative doing it for him.

I emailed him today and suggested that he knock off his crap that he is being dishonest and basically stealing and in some states it is considered illegal.

The item I was bidding on I wont divulge it here but basically I had my set price I was willing to pay.

Now somebody comes in and jacks up the price quite abit no worrys happens all the time right? So I bid alittle more and I am still outbid then I smell something fishy?

Now here is where the investigating work comes into play I look at all his current auctions and guess what the same userid is used for bidding on all his auctions increasing the bids once again happens all the time right?

Now with ebay's system it only shows part of the userid but you can see it is the same bidder plain as day.

Now I look at his completed auctions and wait for it wait for it yep you guessed it same bidder jacked up the prices on all the past auctions.

When you look at the history it shows this particular bidder only had done his bidding with this seller.

This guy is selling only Bronco parts I will not divulge the auctions or the userid on this forum.

I still have honor in me just letting people be aware of what happens on thiefbay all the time.

I guess what really pisses me off:mad: is I really wanted one of his items if he did not want to sell his stuff at a loss then price the stuff so you are not losing anymoney but to be doing it this way is total BS!!!

I really hope this seller is not a member on this forum:mad:

There I have it off my chest for what it is worth.
Navy Chief! Navy Pride!

trtlsoup22

I agree with what you have said, but wait till the auction is about to end before you bid... Bidding early is only going to run a price up..

OP
OP
N

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
I agree with what you have said, but wait till the auction is about to end before you bid... Bidding early is only going to run a price up..

I know that read what i wrote this guy is commiting a crime not to mention totally against ebay rules to jack up prices on your own items hence what they call shill bidding

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I agree Chief! What a tool. I understand wanting to get the most for your items, but this sounds like fraud. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking my bids a little closer from now on.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Usually the schill bidder will win the auction and the seller will wait a few days and send you a second chance offer.
Since you can't see the bidder ID's anymore, like the old days, schill bidding has gotten ridiculous.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Bottom line is if you know what you want to pay for something put up or shut up. Buying a car from a dealer is no different (they just set the price you SHOULD try and chisel away), and it's 100% legal.

As for your "detective work" you might want to learn a good "detective" tip; don't slander yourself via email. You can't say for sure that he is schill bidding. He may have the same guy really interested/buying his parts. Highly unlikely, but still something that may be used to incriminate you down the road.

He could have thirty people putting bids on items, but you should know when to call it quits. I know it is being REALLY dishonest and a down right scumbag, but alot of you gripe may be from the fact that you lost a deal too good to be true.

If his "buddy" wins the auction he still has to pay final value fees. These can add up if the item went for a pretty penny. Use his greed against him. Bid on everything he sells.

Just my 2 pesos.:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Navy_chief

Loc.
Oklahoma
Well Imagine that I have not recieved any replies back from the guy.

As far as me bidding an losing I could care less I am just stating what I have researched in looking at his current and past auctions.

So as far as put up or shut up if I really wanted to buy the stuff I would have hit the buy it now button but hey I am trying to save a buck like everybody else.

I think after serving in the Navy for 23 years faithfully it is my choice on what I choose to buy with my hard earned cash like everybody else on here or ebay for that matter?

I have been on ebay since 1999 and I am a powerseller with 100% positive feedbacks so I know all about it and how people decieve others.

I merely stated what I thought was happening and pointing this out for other people to watch out for this stuff?

Last edited:

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
My ebay strategy is to bid at the last minute my max bid. It does 2 things, 1 it does not allow a shill or other bidder the chance to bid higher, it does not allow me the chance to justify my bid higher than the item is worth. If the auction ends with a no sale due to a shill, they still have to pay ebay.

Frankly I do not think ebay does enough to protect buyers. How they have not lost their market dominance is beyond me. I believe they are a VERY poorly run business.
Dennis

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd probably just report it and let Ebay sort it all out. you contacting him will just alert him to the fact that he has to change tactics some.
Just set your price your willing to pay and wait. you either win or you dont. If they are trying to jack up the bid then you'll see that same part listed again soon. You'll also have more proof of whats going on when its relisted.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
My ebay strategy is to bid at the last minute my max bid. It does 2 things, 1 it does not allow a shill or other bidder the chance to bid higher, it does not allow me the chance to justify my bid higher than the item is worth. If the auction ends with a no sale due to a shill, they still have to pay ebay.

Frankly I do not think ebay does enough to protect buyers. How they have not lost their market dominance is beyond me. I believe they are a VERY poorly run business.
Dennis

And they also dont protect their sellers from dishonest buyers. Sellers cant leave negative feedback and scum buyers can and will use that to get things out of a seller. They dont take care of their buyers or their sellers.

I agree completely about the market dominance thing too. I was thinking about that just the other day.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Ebay will not help you. I went thru something like this a few months back with a car on Ebay. The seller has 3 or 4 different accounts and they use them to bid auctions up. I bid at the last minute so it didn't run up the price, but then the seller offered the car to someone behind me for $500 more. That buyer took the deal, the seller re-listed the item as a Buy It Now again BEFORE giving me any chance to buy the car. He & the new buyer both knew when the Buy it Now was on, and closed the deal in under 5 minutes.

I pointed all this out to Ebay people. I posted harsh negative feedback for the seller. It stayed for about 48 hours then disappeared. I was in contact with Ebay and they basically told me too bad. Ebay sucks! I use it as little as possible. Their customer service "Trust & Safety division" is now offshore, no way to talk to Ebay in Norcal. I hate talking to people outside this country with limited English speaking and comprehension skills. Eff Ebay...don't waste your time there unless it's that good of a deal. The car I WON was, but then I ended up screwed by Ebay and the Seller! YMMV

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Usually the schill bidder will win the auction and the seller will wait a few days and send you a second chance offer.
Since you can't see the bidder ID's anymore, like the old days, schill bidding has gotten ridiculous.

Yup... it's crazy for sure.

JLBachs

Ebay used to be a lot of fun back 10-15 years ago. Not so much anymore.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
EBay has a system that monitors this kind of crap. They should catch up to him eventually. If not, karma will.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I rarely buy anything now unless it's a good deal with a buy-it-now. It takes out all the BS with schill bidding etc. Ebay is a good search engine if you're looking for pricing on common items. 99% of the items I buy are items you can get at just about any store maybe a few bucks cheaper.

If you're looking for auto parts you really need to search the message boards. It's come full cirlce again, but instead of picking up the local "trading times" at the convenient store you need to log onto your PC and get it for free. Good deals are out there. You just have to spend a couple of hours looking for them.

croft75

I don't know if there market dominance is for ever , In Canada we have Kijiji.ca and it has taken off like wildfire. I haven't bought anything off ebay in years. It is more like a classified add with pictures and face to face transaction is prefered but buying over distance has also worked.
My beef with ebay is i'm sick of searching bronco and getting pages of headlight or neon light bar adds.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
That is why it is called "Fee-bay" ... They are in it for the money, pure and simple. As long as they are paid for listings, why should they care?? I use it for a reference for prices, but I do not buy off of Feebay anymore...

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I use Ebay for a different hobbie. Have gotten some good deals for that other hobbie, but I've run into something similar except it is the same guy bidding an about every one of the particular item I'm trying to buy, over and over and over again, no matter the seller. It is amazing really... I can only think he has a store front and is furnishing his store front with these particular items. Cause he's buying a metric ton of them. He isn't a hobbiest, but someone who deals.. has to be... No reason to horde othewise, and he pushes the items to top dollar... >shrugs<

Good luck.