• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Think i made a big mistake

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've never tried it however I know that you can accidentally lift the shaft out when you pull the distributor and then drop it into the pan. Therefore it would be my guess that it could be put in from on top. The catch though is that you would need to be dead on when you put it in so it didn't end up in the pan instead.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Normally, the oil pump drive shaft goes in during assembly. It is suppose to be held in place by a ring that is forced over the the drive shaft and will prevent it from coming out if the and when the distributor is pulled out. If, you didn't do that and don't want to pull the oil pan back off, remove the oil pump to correctly install the drive shaft you "can" put it in from the top, but there'll be nothing to stop it from coming out with the distributor and most likely falling into the oil pan the first time you pull the distributor out. If you elect to put it in afterwards epoxy it into the end of the distributor to prevent the "in the oil pan" trick. If you epoxy it into the end of the shaft you'll have to align both the cam gear and the oil pump hex drive to get everything together. You can do this by getting the cam gear partly ingauged and then while "gently" holding down on the distributor bump the engine starter. The cam gear will turn the distributor drive and the oil pump shaft into alignment and it'll drop in.
Another question is "Did you prime the oil pump??????" You should do this before installing the distributor. You can use a reversible 1.2" drill motor, two 1/4" drive extensions and a 5/16" socket. Electrical tape these three tools together (to keep them from falling into the oil pan). Chuck it into the 1/2" drill IN REVERSE and run it untill you feel resistance (the drill motor will slow down). You'll also see the oil up in the valve train. If you don't do this it'll be 30 seconds or so (if you're lucky) before you get oil pressure and you may ruin bearings.
Good Luck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can install from the top. You can put some grease in the end of the dist shaft and stick the pump shaft in that way it wont fall out. Or get a HD oil pump shaft that ARP or other sell they are about $15 and wont fall in the oil pan because they are too thick.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've put it in from the top before. I used a small piece of double sided carpet tape and attached the shaft to the distributor and put them in as one piece. Worked perfectly.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
You can put the stock shaft in from the top. I epoxied the shaft in and had no problems for 3 years.

I don't think you'll be able to install an ARP shaft from the top though. My 351 shaft didn't have the spring retaining clip like stock- it was simply thicker below the opening in the block so that it couldn't pass upwards when the dist is pulled.

Either reuse the stock with epoxy from the top or pull the pan/pump and use the ARP shaft. BTW, heating the dist. with a torch will loosen the epoxy if you later want to remove the shaft. (had to do this when I swapped dists.)

JP

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Drop the pan and do it right.

You'll regret it the 1st time you pull the dizzy and it drops in the pan and then you'll have to do it anyway.

This is one of those things where you don't cut corners......

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The ARP shaft is virtually impossible to drop in the pan when installing from the top. I'd go with the top install and If by some freak chance it drops in the pan then you can pull the pan. It can mean hours of differance especailly if the engine is already installed in the bronco.