• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts? 2020 Coyote 8K miles w/10R80 & Transfer Case

Broncool

I am considering purchasing a 2020 Coy/10R80 4x4 out of an F150 for $8K ( shipping included). It has 8K miles with all wiring intact and transfer case included. This is for my ‘72 EB. I am interested in opinions regarding Gen3 out of a donor F150 and the price vs value? Thanks

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Price is good, wiring nightmare. There must be a 2-3 dozen wires that the F150 uses that your Bronco won't.Tons of codes that will need deleting. Sounds easy but sometimes those wires give feedback to the ECU to run properly. When cut or not deleted properly...that won't happen.

I'd check into a forum that swaps that combo into other older vehicles to see the specifics. I checked into a 3.5TT and it was literally over a dozen pages of computer deletes you have to do and wrote up a short post on it.... well, that needs to be done by someone that knows how. This was from 2 people that did the swap and they both said they''d "never do it again". Not a 5.0 but it does have the 10r which itsn't common in swaps at all.

I just turned one down a 3.5TT for a swap in late spring.

OP
OP
Broncool

Broncool

Leave it. Spend the $$$ on a nice 351 and some lockers.
Thanks SteveL! I dived in the shallow end and bought the darn thing. I’m feeling like that engine is tied to my back right now. I appreciate your cautionary post!

OP
OP
Broncool

Broncool

Price is good, wiring nightmare. There must be a 2-3 dozen wires that the F150 uses that your Bronco won't.Tons of codes that will need deleting. Sounds easy but sometimes those wires give feedback to the ECU to run properly. When cut or not deleted properly...that won't happen.

I'd check into a forum that swaps that combo into other older vehicles to see the specifics. I checked into a 3.5TT and it was literally over a dozen pages of computer deletes you have to do and wrote up a short post on it.... well, that needs to be done by someone that knows how. This was from 2 people that did the swap and they both said they''d "never do it again". Not a 5.0 but it does have the 10r which itsn't common in swaps at all.

I just turned one down a 3.5TT for a swap in late spring.
Any thoughts on the POWER BY THE HOUR harnesses?! I’ve researched their product and it looks promising for the engine/trans wiring.

OP
OP
Broncool

Broncool

Any thoughts on the POWER BY THE HOUR harnesses?! I’ve researched their product and it looks promising for the engine/trans wiring.
Luckily the engine has the complete wiring harnesses for both.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I’m buying one. I decided to go with the Coyote Gen1 platform, so I opted for their custom body harness that is configured to be plug-n-play to the Coyote engine and 6r80 transmission harness. NvrStuk convinced me that the 6r80 is not a total pile of crap. And now that I’ve solved the Coyote typewriter tick…I’m looking forward to 450HP.

The folks at PBH give great support via e-mail. If you tell them exactly what you are trying to do, they have some cost effective solutions available.

I’ll know more in a month.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
NvrStuk convinced me that the 6r80 is not a total pile of crap.
He has a way of doing that. I've been a committed manual transmission guy since I learned to drive, and objectively my NV4500 has been great. But my will is weakening as I enter my golden years. Brian is not helping.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hahahahaha!

Love helping you dinosaurs! lol

Seriously tho, my ZF/203/d20 with TruHi9 combo was the best all round do everything drivetrain I'd ever had...then I put in a 4r... opened up a whole new experience for snow & sand... then the 6r...

I like it so much I bought another one for Shorty even tho a 4r would have been fine...

Last edited:

Contributor
I have some BC broncos coyote engine mountains new in the box. $200 + shipping if you’re interested.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Anything you can share?
Yeah, a lot. Maybe I shouldn't threadjack, and go start another post. But I am willing to tease you with a couple of riddles:

1. Why do Coyote's start ticking after their first oil change?
2. Why do Coyote's running under Factory Ford rev-limited ECU's start ticking?
3. Why do Coyote's spin rod bearings?
4. How long does it take to spin a rod bearing before your crank sees permanent wear?
5. How long can a rod bearing spin in the rod before it goes from a tick to a knock?
6. Who is the idiot that invented split cap rod end forgings?
7. What is the oil path in a Coyote, and who thinks the heads need oil before the crankshaft?
Lastly:
8. How many different 1/2 RPM noises can come from a DOHC engine with 32 valves, rockers, and cam lobes?
9. Why does Ford's TSB consider all typewriter tick noises to be from the same root cause?

Answer these questions, and you will know what I had to think about while I replaced my Gen 1 Coyote crankshaft.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
He has a way of doing that. I've been a committed manual transmission guy since I learned to drive, and objectively my NV4500 has been great. But my will is weakening as I enter my golden years. Brian is not helping.
I drove my 5.0/NV4500/Atlas/HP60 at the Bronco roundup this spring. I'm estimating that I push started it (KOEO) at least 20 times. I've always liked to roll start them. Mostly because if I hit the start switch, it shuts off the accessories, which powers down my stereo...then I have to wait forever for everything to warm back up, re-connect, and then eventually the music might come back on.

So, I park downhill. Key On, Engine Off, and bump it in 3rd gear high range...and idle away.

Now I am going to have to invent some kind of time delay relay to maintain power on the accessory side of my ignition. Yuck. Or I might install a push button start on the Coyote. Then I have to figure out if I want to defeat it the NSS. See the problems that the Automatic transmission is causing already?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Who said it was to begin with? Pushing 730 HP through mine and I beat the snot out of it.
(not in a bronco).
That would be me. It is a ZF 6HP26 that has a lot of applications. I have yet to see data that shows where they consistently exceed 1 million miles of maintenance free service. Then I read about a guy who had one in a Bronco with an isolated fan/cooler...and the cooler fan almost never ran. And I thought..."hey, an automatic that doesn't make heat? That might be OK." So, add a Coyote 5.0 and that gets us to here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncool

Broncool

I’m buying one. I decided to go with the Coyote Gen1 platform, so I opted for their custom body harness that is configured to be plug-n-play to the Coyote engine and 6r80 transmission harness. NvrStuk convinced me that the 6r80 is not a total pile of crap. And now that I’ve solved the Coyote typewriter tick…I’m looking forward to 450HP.

The folks at PBH give great support via e-mail. If you tell them exactly what you are trying to do, they have some cost effective solutions available.

I’ll know more in a month.
How is your project progressing?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
How is your project progressing?
Hi, and thanks for asking! My last post was June, and it's now September. The Coyote was installed, along with the 6R80. Then I built the Body kit, and added the Coyote offset inner wheelhouse. It came out remarkably decent. So I traded it for a very straight and original 1970 project.

So no more Coyote for me!