• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts and pics of roll bar / cage on a LUBR

SP66

Bronco Guru
Adult driven daily driver / weekender. Think I like the look of a roll bar vs. full cage but I will be driving older teenagers in the back---but rarely. Do roll bars provide any safety for rear passengers or the driver for that matter. This will not be wheeled. The look is important to me, although it probably shouldn't be. Any thoughts and pictures of options on LUBR's. Thanks.

C_Man69EB

Hi guys, Im kinda new, or a lurker, but im trying to contribute more. I agree with loco. I have two kids and the peace of mind and safety of the cage is paramount. even on a street crawler. I recently built and installed a family cage in my 69, with DOM 2" .120 wall, gusseted and 4 point harnesses. talk about overkill, but they look good and you just cant be too safe about this. Ill try and get pics up.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
IMHO, unless it's just a show truck, safety should always be the top priority and take precedent over looks. (Of course it has to be practical. You could take "safety" to an insane level so that the bronco is completely ugly.)

All it takes is one time for someone riding in the back and an accident happen. If someone is ever going to ride in the back, go with a cage.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
When I was in high school, my Bronco was my daily driver. Yes! I had a back seat, but did not have a family cage. My father and I made a rule that no one could ride in the back seat because there was no protection. 8 years later my son was born and the family cage was installed.

Like others have said, Safety first! Safety Always!!!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
A cage is pointless if you aren't tying it to the frame. A roll bar, or family cage bolted to 16 gauge metal with a few squares of 4x4 plate is nothing more than a Placebo. You have far more structure to deal with a rollover with the top bolted on. You may want to get your rear passengers helmets in the mean time.

For reference, my old Smitty Built roll bar is going on CL and I'm going to build my own frame-braced cage for the Bronco.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I personally like the look of no cage, no roll-bar but it is just not worth it if you have a back seat you need a family cage, if you don't you still need a front cage, their was just a post a few weeks ago of a baja that rolled, the single bar and even the hardtop offered little protection.

As was stated you need to tie the cage into the frame or run floor bars. I personally prefer floor bars as they offer a little more safety but either are going to add a lot of safety to the vehical.