• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on My Electric Fuel Pump and Line Routing

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
While distance is important that can be overcome by height in relation to fuel level. If you can mount the pump below the fuel height the pump won’t have to work as hard sucking fuel as there will be a siphon effect going on. That’s why they say within 18” cause it can draw fairly well even uphill that close. One other thing no one has mentioned is life span. The cooler a pump can remain the longer it will live. So the less it has to work the better. In tank mounting has the added benefit of fuel to keep it cool. You may want to look at retrofitting an in tank setup into your tank. There are several options out there. You will need to have a regulator and return line as they create too much pressure for a carb but you get the benefit of cooler fuel at the engine when fuel isn’t sitting deadheaded in the line under the hood. All things to think about.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I agree a shield mounted around the pump will deflect heat away and increase pump life and reduce any chance of fuel boiling.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I don't think you need that much pump!

Which tank do you have?

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think you need that much pump!

Which tank do you have?
Not sure. It’s one of the older aftermarket vendors units but don’t know who’s. It’s for carbs but can be ready for EFI if I ever decide to go that route. Probably won’t but….

Any other in tank options you would recommend?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Not sure. It’s one of the older aftermarket vendors units but don’t know who’s. It’s for carbs but can be ready for EFI if I ever decide to go that route. Probably won’t but….

Any other in tank options you would recommend?
Have any pic of the top? I could be wrong but thought all the tanks since like '99 were setup for in tank efi pumps. I bought mine in '99 and while I did need to make a few mods to do things how I wanted, it wasn't hard and only needed the pump and a couple other things.

Is it older than that?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
I think that pump will be perfect for your application. The lack of a required external regulator and return line makes it perfect for a carbureted application. You won’t get the benefit of non deadheaded fuel but that’s more work.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have any pic of the top? I could be wrong but thought all the tanks since like '99 were setup for in tank efi pumps. I bought mine in '99 and while I did need to make a few mods to do things how I wanted, it wasn't hard and only needed the pump and a couple other things.

Is it older than that?

I actually found one. Just ports and sending unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 16

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I think that pump will be perfect for your application. The lack of a required external regulator and return line makes it perfect for a carbureted application. You won’t get the benefit of non deadheaded fuel but that’s more work.
No doubt a good pump but seems like a lot of money for non-efi, but maybe if that tank doesn't have anything other than a cover.

It also seems like maybe any returnless system is more money.

Maybe the question is, are you ever planning on going efi, or happy with carb?

If happy with carb, maybe that one is your best bet.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
No doubt a good pump but seems like a lot of money for non-efi, but maybe if that tank doesn't have anything other than a cover.

When you factor in a high pressure regulator and all the return line stuff the cost doesn’t look so bad. You can’t just use a cheap carb regulator with a high pressure in tank pump.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Yah a little pricey but it can be converted to EFI with change of internal regulator.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yah a little pricey but it can be converted to EFI with change of internal regulator.
I see that now, that's great!

Make sure you measure from the pump platform to the bottom to make sure you need that extended piece. It might be 12". Mine is 13" to the top (and your pump platform is recessed).

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see that now, that's great!

Make sure you measure from the pump platform to the bottom to make sure you need that extended piece. It might be 12". Mine is 13" to the top (and your pump platform is recessed).

Yah it’s gunna have to go in the higher section since that platform is only 4” wide. Top to bottom from high point is ~14” so unfortunately will need the extension kit.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Yah it’s gunna have to go in the higher section since that platform is only 4” wide. Top to bottom from high point is ~14” so unfortunately will need the extension kit.
Also make sure you have room under the floor for the pump hat. Don’t need much clearance but you don’t want it touching the floor.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Speaking of which...my own tank was made for no body lift cause I hadn't planned on it. Raise too much and it would hit the crossmember. I 3D printed some feet to go over the existing feet and it works great, but like @Wild horse 75 said, think of that BEFORE you put it back in (unlike what I did).

Some aluminum tubing or something along the sides is probably ideal since it looks like yours doesn't have feet.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of which...my own tank was made for no body lift cause I hadn't planned on it. Raise too much and it would hit the crossmember. I 3D printed some feet to go over the existing feet and it works great, but like @Wild horse 75 said, think of that BEFORE you put it back in (unlike what I did).

Some aluminum tubing or something along the sides is probably ideal since it looks like yours doesn't have feet.
Yes good advice guys. The tank is height adjustable with unistrut and slides. I currently have just enough room but will drop it down a tad. Too far and the full port hits the frame.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
While distance is important that can be overcome by height in relation to fuel level. If you can mount the pump below the fuel height the pump won’t have to work as hard sucking fuel as there will be a siphon effect going on. That’s why they say within 18” cause it can draw fairly well even uphill that close. One other thing no one has mentioned is life span. The cooler a pump can remain the longer it will live. So the less it has to work the better. In tank mounting has the added benefit of fuel to keep it cool. You may want to look at retrofitting an in tank setup into your tank. There are several options out there. You will need to have a regulator and return line as they create too much pressure for a carb but you get the benefit of cooler fuel at the engine when fuel isn’t sitting deadheaded in the line under the hood. All things to think about.
I did mention "life span" in how it wears and how electrical pump performance is affected. I mentioned earlier that the harder it has to work the efficiency, performance and longevity is affected.

Nobody has mentioned running dry. A mechanical pump which is basically a diaphram style pump can run dry for a long period of time. When you run out of gas with an electric pump you have a very short period of time that it can be "spun" when dry before it's toasted. Another reason you don't want one 4', 5', 7ft away from the fuel source or above it. If you have an empty tank, throw 5 gal of gas in it you are running that electric pump dry for a while until it can pull the fuel in to lubricate and cool it. If it's 7ft instead of 18" then it's running dry for that much longer.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Im thinking of going in tank now. It would solve several issues for me and should go in my aftermarket 23 gal tank with the extension kit.

I can keep the Carter as a backup just in case.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...s/carbureted_electric_fuel_pumps/parts/19-365

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ies/in-tank_retrofit_fuel_module/parts/12-161
Agreed that pump is waaay too much for anything under 600hp. I didn't even look at the link until Ol Blue mentioned it.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I mounted my pump inside the rear fender on the frame rail. I added a "shield" to try and protect it from debris. It's been there for years with no issues.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the Holley intank pump, new sending unit and new gauge installed. All seams to be working well. The Holley pump is quieter being that its submerged in fuel. Much cleaner install for me. No pump just above the rear axle and all fuel lines are away from the exhaust. Pretty happy with it so far. We'll see how long it lasts. Im going to keep the Carter with me and set it up so I can easily install it if the Holley pump dies.

In only had to lower the tank 1/4" to make room for the pump hat and installed it at 90* so the fuel line runs right to the frame rail and to the front.

Thanks for all the help gents!

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4265.jpg
    IMG_4265.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4233 (1).jpg
    IMG_4233 (1).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 13