• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thoughts on wheel adapters for H1 wheels

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I just wanted to bounce this idea off y'all and see what the consensus was.

I haven't checked yet, but I'd be surprised if I couldn't find somebody who makes an 8 bolt to 5 bolt wheel spacer/adapter. Assuming I can find a set and assuming they're cheaper than new centers, (which I expect they would be) is there any reason not to just run adapters instead of recentering my H1 wheels to fit my axles? Since the offset would be similar with the new centers or the adapters I figure the stress on the wheel bearings would be about the same.

Thoughts?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably depends on the cost of the spacers vs new centers I was recently looking at some wheel adapters and they were like $45 a piece. Didnt notice if they had any eight lug types but i dont think the company I was looking at had them.. Not sure on the back spacing differances but the wheel adapters I saw looked to be about 2in thick.

dblue351

I run 2 inch spacers on my H1 rims. The H1s are 7 inch so I net a 5 inch BS wheel. Where you might have a hard time is finding one that is 5 lug to an 8 lug...

P2270008.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Was worth a try:
"9/1/09 - I'd like to thank all my customers for making the last 12 years great at Skulte Performance Designs. With sadness, I've decided to close SPD to focus on different priorities. Thanks for the wonderful times. You guys have been the best anyone could ask for!
Andris Skulte "

I have a feeling that those 2 piece units would be more expensive than recentering anyway.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
you can get recenter H1 rims for $100. www.pirate4x4.com
Sabas

If you're saying that the whole wheel already recentered, with the runflat insert is $100 that just doesn't make sense. You can't buy the parts for that price, much less the cost of the builders labor.

I have a set of H1 wheels, and can install the new centers myself Was still thinking that adapters would be cheaper (and easier!) but it turns out that the 8 to 5 bolt conversion spacers are generally more expensive and harder to find than standard spacers.

Edit: Found the ad you must have been talking about. No runflat inserts included, but that's still a Hell of a deal. $130 shipped each (PVC runflats and rock rings puts them about $200 each). If I didn't already have a set, and knew where to get a decent deal on just the magnesium runflats I would go that route... As it is, If I DIY it and recenter my wheels myself, I'll be in the $105-110 each range including the mag runflats :) It's just that I wanted to avoid the extra labor.

Last edited:

Hoochdog

I finally installed my wheel spacers and the calipers for disc brakes fit fine as well as the tie rod over with heim setup in the H1 wheels. I am going to run the wheel spacers before trying to recenter the wheels. I will let you know if I run into any problems. I need to setup my hydroboost for brakes and then I will try them out.

Attachments

• shock hoops.jpg
    shock hoops.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
You know, looking at that house in the background, the first thing I thought was "man that looks like the valley" I didn't notice you were in avondale till after I closed the picture of your rig...

So are you running an 8 to 5 bolt conversion, or do you have 8 bolt axles?

I haven't been able to get the website for arbagit to open up yet, but will check out what they have once I do.

By the way, what's the spacing on the 8 bolt H1 wheels? Anybody know off the top of their head? I'm at the office and can't measure or check to see if mine are stamped...

Hoochdog

I have 8 bolt diff's from a F-250. I think the backspacing is 7 " for H1's, but I have not actually measured it personally.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
It is 7" BS
Anyone know if those adapters listed above are $129 for a pair or each? It says adapter in the list and in the cart but I couldnt imagine each!!! I really want to run the H1s but have started heading away from the 1 tons. I have the DIY beadlocks that have been hellish to balance and the inside isnt locked or protected (bent the inner bead last trip).

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Anyone know if those adapters listed above are $129 for a pair or each?
I had the same question and sent them an email last week. Haven't received a response from them yet. I was making the assumption that they're $129 each which is too rich for me. At $129 a pair, they'd be almost comparable to new centers (assuming you could weld the centers yourself), but much simpler. The only disadvantages I can think of off the top of my head are 1) 5" backspacing instead of 4" and 2) you need to buy an extra 32 lug nuts which will add a few dollars to the deal.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I would love to do the adapters if they were around $100 a pair. That way i could run them on my half ton and if/when I go 1 ton I dont have to change the centers. I like the 5" BS on FW, doesnt hang out nearly as far. My wife's 18's run 4.5" BS and are 9" wide, they fit perfect under a standard flare on a standard EB axle.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Holy Schnikies!

I guess when you are the only one selling them you can get away with it.....Oh Trlblzr...you got that CNC machine on????