• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle Cable for Sniper EFI

Amac70

ME
i think the efi one would work better but not sure, i'm using a lokar one you can pick up at any auto parts stores. and using the brackets that came with the sniper

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have the FiTech, and IIRC I ordered a Lokar kit from WH. Give them a call and tell them what your doing and they can give advise, Great company to deal with. ;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Running an auto or manual trans bknbronco? Is it a 2bbl or 4bbl Sniper?

I would use one of these, depending on the combination of parts:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/EFI_Systems

The EFI cable you linked to is more for the factory Ford EFI stuff like out of Mustang or Explorer swap.
The first one is more for carburetors, but would likely work on your throttle body. Not sure if it would take some tweakage or special incantation to make it work, but that's why we also have EFI/TBI specific kits as well.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind. Looks like the same parts for the carb and TBI setups. I thought they were slightly different in the bracketry department, but does not seem so.

If you have a 2bbl TBI and manual trans, that #8264 you linked to first should do the trick.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Paul i will use a 2 bbl sniper, manual trannie.

I know the end that attaches to the carb or sniper is a simple ball and any cable would work. The end that goes to or through the firewall is what im curious about how it attaches. How does cable travel match pedal travel?

Anyhow....ill just order #8264 unless i hear otherwise.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't argue with Pokey on which is better, because I've had great luck with both. And generally I hear users of the cables are happy. Never had any negative experiences, other than "pedal ratio" issues on Ford EFI setups.
What didn't you like about yours specifically Pokey?

Most of my experiences with cables are with Ford EFI, with very limited personal experience on carbs and TBI's. So I'm very curious to know what your experience was.

Thanks

Paul

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
I ran it for 3 years before is snapped and left me on the side of the freeway.

I had it plumbed square to the peddle and the carb. It slowly wore and frayed the cable. It was a Lokar cable and they did warranty it. I gave it away and made my own linkage.

A mechanical linkage will never brake like that.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
thanks pokey....ill run the all thread and stock linkage. Easy enuf to buy a cable later on if need be. I have a lokar oil dipstick and hate it.

i got a stock 289. Should i keep the stock intake or would i benifit from a aftermarket like a weiland street warrier or edelbrock performer?. Do the aluminum intakes seal worth a shit?

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
are you going with the two or four barrel sniper?

if its the 2, stay. if its the 4 i would go to a different intake.
Why buy an adapter, just buy the right part the first time.

Im slowly realizing this

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
2 bbl i was thinking? 4bbl seems overkill for my motor

i just hear everybody rapping about there performer or weiland intake

and i was just gona get the siper hyperspark dist and use my stock coil and use the CD ign box built into the sniper unit

Last edited:

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
Take it off, paint it and put it back on. I dont see a huge gain of anything switching a 2 barrel intake to an aftermarket intake.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Take it off, paint it and put it back on. I dont see a huge gain of anything switching a 2 barrel intake to an aftermarket intake.

im thinking the main advantage of a aftermarket one is the extra water port. With my stock intake i "T" the heaator hose fitting and put my temp guage sending unit on that "T"?? Makes me think the reading would only be accurate when the heator is on and the heator valve open???

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could also get one of the thermostat housings with the extra fitting hole in it like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Thermostat_Housing/Bronco_Water_Pumps

Like a heater hose mount, it does not get the full effect until after the thermostat opens, but it still gets a reading, being so close to the heat and all.
You could use the stock location for the EFI sender and the housing port for the gauge.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
great...another aftermarket water neck to leak! I do like that idea over a T in the heater hose. same difference as far as accuracy before full operating temp (192)

I gota put a new thermostat in anyhow (motorcraft RT1139)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
great...another aftermarket water neck to leak!...

Haha! Yeah, I hear that. But it's been awhile since I've tried a fancy chrome cover on any of mine.
The good news is, as far as I know anyway, this one I linked to is a factory style cover/neck/thingy. Same as came on many newer Fords.

why cant you drill and tap another hole in the stock intake?

No reason I can think of unless there are some thin areas of a manifold to avoid? Seems like a reasonable thing to do. If you're good with a welder you could even build up the area around the hole in sort of a reinforcing flange.
That's really the only thing that I would be concerned about anyway I think. A crack around the new hole.

But that's more for aluminum. If we're talking the stock cast-iron manifold here, then none of that is as dire sounding.

Paul