• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle Linkage

vap13

For those of you that are running a 351W with a carb. did you have to modify the height of the linkage? I noticed that Duff sells a new bellcrank for 50 bucks that raises the linkage because of the taller heads. Is it neccessary for the proper operation of the throttle or have you done something else?
Thanks - Paul

Attachments

• 3162.jpg
    3162.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 57

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine is stock. I have no problems. That carb is so clean I thought it was fake until I blew up the picture!

Jeff in AZ

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I don't have a 351w but if you find it necessary to spend some sheckels to make it work I suggest you consider BCB's cable throttle. That would be an upgrade as opposed to dropping coin to maintain the status quo. Just a thought.

OP
OP
V

vap13

I don't mind spending the bucks as long as I know which way to throw it. I'm for whatever works best, within reason. I know the stock linkage looks close to the valve covers but was'nt sure if there was any binding.
Thanks again - Paul

70_Steve

Old Guy
351 and a carb. I used the stock throttle linkage and bellcrank, but I have a 1" body lift.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It may depend on which valve covers you have. The PO had to modify my bell crank to clear but I have the old cast aluminum Motorsport covers. They are tall.

I finally threw away the PO's fine modification work and installed a universal throttle cable. Problem permanently solved.

OP
OP
V

vap13

Thanks everyone, sounds like the way to go is with the cable.
Paul

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I used to run the duffs set up then when i went to a 2" BL I went back to the stock bell crank.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
vap13 said:
Thanks everyone, sounds like the way to go is with the cable.
Paul

It's a good thing to do mostly 'cause it eliminates the yoyo effect which everyone has untill they do this upgrade.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Throw the money to a good cable operated throttle. That avoids the bump throttle you get with linkage when you are on the trail plus deals with any issues you may have with height differences.