• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throw-Out Bearing Rattle

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
So, I realized the throw-out bearing was rattling, so I pulled the transmission and replaced it. Doesn’t seem to have made a difference. Still rattling. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustedbroc

Contributor
So you say it rattles. Does the rattle go away when you depress the clutch pedal?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much free play distance do you have in the adjustment?
And are you, by any chance, running a Center Force clutch?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, adjustment is part of replacement. So you have to be sure of your adjustment.
This is to make sure that the throw-out bearing is nowhere near touching the clutch fingers when the engine is running.

Since changing the throwout bearing didn’t change the noise however, it makes adjusting even more important so that you know that it is not the thud bearing touching the clutch cover/pressure plate.
If it’s adjusted properly, and the bearing is not touching the clutch, then the noise you’re hearing is unlikely to be the bearing.
If you release the clutch rod completely, and allow the clutch fork to retract fully, and the noise goes away, then you know it needs adjustment.
If the noise does not go away, then you need to track down something else.
It’s very possible it could be the front input bearing of the transmission at that point.
When the clutch pedal is released, the transmission is spinning right along with the engine. When you push the clutch pedal in, it releases, and the transmission will stop spinning.
If it’s in gear, it’ll stop spinning immediately. If it’s in neutral, it might take a second or two to spin down.

Does the rattle go away the instant you lay your foot on the pedal or do you have to push and disengage the clutch fully before the noise goes away?
That could be another clue.

It would be very unusual for it to be the clutch itself, but I can’t imagine that it’s impossible.
Be a shame if it is, but you should be able to find out with all this testing.
And make sure the noise isn’t coming from somewhere else being transmitted through.
Even though this is a really long shot, remove the belt(s) from the accessories on the engine and see if anything changes.
Doesn’t take too long, so it wouldn’t hurt to know. Way out in left field, but stranger things have happened!

Good luck

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the clutch fork pivot points in good shape and the fork where it is supposed to be?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I had something similar in my last manual truck. The fork made the bearing get crooked and rub on the fingers on one side. Had to add a return spring to the arm.

tbratz

What brand bearing are you using. I know this may sound crazy, but I did a write up on this a few years back. I was having the same problem after replacing multiple bearings. I finally bought a Mcleaod from Summit and never have had a problem since. I did not think it was possible to get like three "junk" bearings in a row but that is what happened. I then tore apart the new bearings after I took them back out and it was unbelievable what I found inside. One bearing actually only had like five balls inside, even the NAPA one only had just several balls inside. So, if everything else like, adjustment, fork alignment etc., checks out okay try buying a high end bearing.