• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie rod/Drag link Position - Bumpsteer?

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Guys,

I just did the TRO and a few other things and want to get some opinions. I haven't driven it yet but want to see how bad you think the bumpsteer will be with the set up as it is.

They are not parallel and I think to get them parallel I will need a drop bracket, which would suck because just before doing the TRO I had the bottom hole of the drop bracket cut off and beefed up. Opps!

Here are some pics.

Thanks
Galen

Attachments

• CIMG3156 (800 x 600).jpg
    CIMG3156 (800 x 600).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89
  • CIMG3157 (800 x 600).jpg
    CIMG3157 (800 x 600).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 68

purple72

Loc.
Wilkinson,IN
Use a track bar riser bracket from Wild Horses. You need the axle end up. As far as how your set up will drive. Not good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You should have bumpsteer. The softer the springs, the worse you will feel it.
Use a track bar riser. Wild horses and Driven Auto Parts both have them.

OP
OP
G

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have a few concerns with a track bar riser.

First is that it is a HP D44 so I am not sure how it will fit.

Secondly it seem that I would have to raise it so much that it might hit the fram on compression. The bump stops are set up perferctly at the moment so that when I bottom out the bumps stop the truck about a 1/2 inch before the shocks full compress.

Also one thing to notice is that the trac bar is from the donor vehicle and you can see that as it comes off the frame mount it drops (or has a downward bend in it). You can see the mounting bolt on teh axle end. Does this help of hurt my situation?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Your going to need either a drop bracket or raised bracket. In reality though your kind of limited to the raised bracket because the drop one has 2 issues. First is that the drag link will hit it when it compresses and is turned. Second is that it puts a lot of stress on the frame. If you want to see if it has bump steer now get up on the front bumper and bounce the frontend up and down watching the steering wheel. If the steering wheel moves from side to side then it will have bump steer.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I would think that if you did the riser, with some grinding (a lot of) you could get it all still setup right. Your angle would be perfect and you could weld/bolt on your bump stop plate still in about the same spot. I think unless this is a trail only rig its gonna need that riser. I think astark did his and did quite a bit of grinding, not sure if he got the bumpstop back on or not though. If you need to take a look at one and get some measurements, I have one on mine over here in clackamas (remember how to get here?)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id test it as Saddleup suggested first. While its optimum to have them parallel its not always true. as the lenghts of both can make a differance also.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
looks like you have a good amount of lift, i wouldn't be too concerned about the riser hitting the frame. i only have a 2.5"lift and my riser doesn't hit.

the riser gives you a few mounting options for the track bar, and should level the track bar out better than a drop bracket. it looks like the lower bolt is lower on the axle than a bronco mount is anyway.

here's a few close ups for consideation.

Attachments

• DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0673.JPG
    DSCN0673.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 50

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Galen. I'm not sure if you looked at my riser or not but that is another option. Your welcome to drop by anytime. (Just give me a call to let me know your coming) We did the same thing with my brothers but he opted to use the EB track bar instead of the one from the full size.

Regarding the bend in the arm you need to figure the angle between the mounting points rather than the angle on the rod itself. That makes the rise needed less since it looks worse in the pics than it really is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, so I took a closer look. First time I was just looking at draglink vs. trackbar.

Since you have an axle swap, the off the shelf track bar riser probably won't be the easy fix. But the idea should be good. Looking at the bumpstops, they are already raised. Just get the lower mount up to there.

I would avoid the droped frame bracket, especially with the TRO. Hard compression on the drivers side at full turn stuffs the tierod into the drop braket, bending the tie rod. Seen that more then I can count.

crab

Bronco Guru
The problem with the bronco tie rod/drag link set up with a lifted suspention is that they are so dang short, expecially the drag link. I really like this set up. The tie rod/drag link have been lengthend to create a much friendlier steering geometry. Notice the track bar and drag link are mounted one in front of the other on the 1/2 ton dodge knuckle, as well as the lengthened track bar. I like!

Attachments

• JBI.jpg
    JBI.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 49
  • JBIII.jpg
    JBIII.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 44