• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tie Rod Taper Bushing Correction

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Has anyone else had the issue that the reamed hole in the steering knuckle was reamed too deep, thereby constantly damaging the tie rod boot,, or necessitating a washer to get the cotter pin to work?

Is there interest in a bushing that is made to correct that issue by changing the offset between the inside and outside surfaces of the bushing? Basically lift the tie rod up some set amount to give more space for the boot.

I think I got mine pretty close when I did it so many years ago, but the boots go to hell pretty quick, especially on one side.

bchesley

I too have a similar problem on one knuckle. Good news though, there are all ready solutions. Ruffstuff has a sleeve that you drill the knuckle to a non taper 1", then you insert and weld on a sleeve that has a new taper in it. I believe that teraflex has one also. I need to do mine because it eats the rubber boot.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
eric, as mentioned there are shims out there. you could try a tapered shim and see if that sets the depth right for you.

needsmoarturbo

Is everyone in this thread talking about GM 1 ton ends? Because that's what the parts from ruffstuff are made to fit.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
WildHorses has some as well #2382 and #2385 I believe. Different applications for each one.