• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tighten tie rod nut?

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I changed my upper and lower ball joints on the driver side of my truck this weekend. However, upon reassembly, the tie rod bolt spins when I try to tighten the nut. I've tried supporting the tie rod with a jack stand, but apparently the bolt is internal to the tie rod and I can't seem to put enough pressure on the bolt to hold it still enough to tighten the bolt down. Am I missing something? Is the tie rod bad?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
usually a jack under the end will work. you only need about 40 ft lbs on the nut.

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I can't spin more than 2 threads before the bolt spins. I tried resting the tie rod on a jackstand but couldn't seem to get enough pressure. I'll try again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
just use a jack to get more pressure on the area. Worst case maybe that tierod was loose and the taper is wallowed out and it might not tighten

OP
OP
jboomer

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
Got it! I ended up turning the wheel some to put side pressure on the bolt, then lowering it onto a jackstand. That gave plenty of pressure to allow me to tighten the bolt. Thanks!