• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Steering from a 78-79 Ford Pick Up

RadioFlyer

I have heard that these are compatible with EB's... Is this true? Any conversion tips?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
swap the dash bracket from the EB to the 150 column and yr good to go. There is a write-up on ...I think..BC Broncos site, but beware that the harness wiring diagram on there was not correct for my install..I had to pull the factory wiring diagrams for the EB and the 150 and match them up myself.

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Yes, it works well. Here's a link for you.

http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=270380

As already pointed out, carefull with the wiring as the year's vary some. Make sure you keep enough wire length on the donor to wire it back into your harness. Also, if your bronco is the right year, you may have the crescent connector instead of the square one and may not need to rewire or solder much.

cesco

here is a copy from BC bronco's web site
i just did it a few month's ago on my 77 and the harness matched up for me..

TILT STEERING COLUMN

If you would like to have a tilt wheel in your early Bronco, here is a clean and easy way to get it.

Get the complete column (auto or stick) with wheel from a pre 1980 F-150. I like to use the 1978 or 1979. Remove the tubes that have the column support brackets spot welded to them. Drill out the spot welds and remove the support brackets from the F-150 and Bronco tubes. Place the F-150 tube in your Bronco.

For column shift automatics move the column up as far as possible without the shift linkage hitting the firewall bracket. You will loose about 1" of steering wheel height. With the stick column you can move it up to the stock Bronco height, if you would like.

Put the Bronco bracket removed earlier, in place on the F-150 column and bolt it down. Make sure that the column is not rotated and adjust the steering wheel height to suit. Mark the bracket location on the column. Remove the column and bracket. Fit the bracket on the column using the marks made earlier and weld. Reinstall the column. Cut a small notch in the steering column bezel to allow the turn signal wires to pass through. Connect the turn signal wires. On later models the socket will plug in to the stock Bronco wiring. If the plugs don't match up, connect the wires as follows:

CIRCUIT EB WIRING COLUMN WIRING
Left front turn signal Green/white Green/white
Left rear turn signal Yellow/black Yelow/black
Right front turn signal White/blue White/blue
Right rear turn signal ??/green Green
Backup light switch Red/black Red/black
Emergency flashers Black Blue

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I did mine with a manual tilting column. Used the wiring diagram on BC's site and moved the flasher switch to the column. works well and looks great with my Grant wheel. get the wiring diagrams though yours may differ a little.
TOFIC

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
..I figured Chuck's diagram HAD to be right for some models..;D Mine went in a '71...quite a few colors different for some reason.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Yes I liked mine after it was finished .......You'll need one or 2 U-joints 69.00 each ...I used one one the gear box don't remember up top ...Mine will tilt down between my knees but only has one click above where I use it whick is almost straight ....So check this before you weld the bracket back on ...Welding the bracket on you can adjust how far away from your belly the wheel is ...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine will tilt down between my knees but only has one click above where I use it whick is almost straight ....So check this before you weld the bracket back on ...Welding the bracket on you can adjust how far away from your belly the wheel is ...

Very good advice..I didn't check fit before I just put the bracket on in its original location..and wish I had moved it so the wheel was about 1-1 1/2 inches farther away. Doing another 78/79 tilt conversion now on a different EB and won't make that mistake again.

cesco

Yes I liked mine after it was finished .......You'll need one or 2 U-joints 69.00 each ...I used one one the gear box don't remember up top ...Mine will tilt down between my knees but only has one click above where I use it whick is almost straight ....So check this before you weld the bracket back on ...Welding the bracket on you can adjust how far away from your belly the wheel is ...

I wished I would have taken the time to do that. I was hoping to get the wheel to tilt up a little more than the way it ended up.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I did mine with a manual tilting column. Used the wiring diagram on BC's site and moved the flasher switch to the column. works well and looks great with my Grant wheel. get the wiring diagrams though yours may differ a little.
TOFIC

I'm installing one today, and I'd like to use the flasher switch in the column as well. None of the write ups address the emergency flasher wiring.

My dash mounted emergency flasher switch does nothing when pulled out. I looked at the wires going to the back side of this switch. I see.... red/black stripe, white/red stripe, green/white stripe, white/black or grey stripe.

I see all of these same wire colors going to the turn signal switch plug.

What does it take to make this work?

I'm assuming.....hook up the white w/ red stripe wire to the candy cane looking(white w/ red dashes) wire in the 78-79 column?

Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is one of the "RARE" Bronco manual tilt columns on eBay right now. I know some guys are looking for those. I already have a near perfect one in the garage. It is auction #230300164717. I wonder what it will sell for?

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Since I wrote my 2 bits worth I have taken my column apart to see if I could get it to tilt up more ...I really thought I'd put the rack on upside down ...I guess it was not the case ...Still like it was.. This is my only grip..

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I'm so glad to read everyone's notes on the column.

So, I'm planning to install a tilt column from a 1985 manual transmission F150. I'm waiting til I install my body lift then do the column at the same time.

This looks like fun. On my current column I used a 1967 Mustang smooth column with the flasher switch on the tube. I didn't weld it to the bracket. I made a sloted set of holes and bolted it together. It was usefull when I did my final adjustments to have so much adjustment in height. Anyway, I'll write up a tech article on it and see if our administrator finds it worthy to post. I've got no idea if anyone else has done this conversion.

Chris
PS Here's a link to the ebay ad for the column I going to install.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...20297292543&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

74fiberglass

This tread was very useful, as mine is in the mail as we speak( or type) i will also be doing this in a week or two.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
That column will climb to around $500. They are highly sought after by the full size broncos and Fseries truck owners and having EB owners wanting one as well just makes the price go way up. I have never been lucky enough to find one in a parts truck.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I posted earlier in the thread.......I'd still like to learn how to tie in the column mounted hazard switch and eliminate the dash mounted one. I think it was TOFIC that mentioned making it work.....

mattt

Bronco Guru
Another thing.....If you don't like the crazy value of a factory tilt, manual trans column.....you can "make" one. I have an older thread showing how I converted mine to look like a manual tilt column with Ford parts. I tried both a non tilt long sleeve, and a later(80's) tilt manual sleeve that is shorter but bolts right up. That is what I'm running right now. It's not too hard to convert, you just have to take the whole column apart to make it work, a few hours....

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damn! Serious money. I have one I could sell or trade then. At that price who knows what you could trade for? %) Hmmmmm.....