• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tilt Steering from a 78-79 Ford Pick Up

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Ok. I read broncofix and the BCB one and in the broncofix they say that the f-150 column is shorter that the E series? Is this true because i need to replace my steering column and steering shafts.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I used two U joints with a solid splined shaft in between. It's the lower shaft from BC Broncos. I think the PS box is 13/16" splined shaft, the steering column shaft is 3/4" 36 spline. I turned my steering column shaft into a double D end and used that type of U joint up top. It was as simple as grinding another flat spot on the opposite side of the factory flat spot.

I think there are other ways to get it all hooked up using rag joint, or other options, but that is how I chose to do it.

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
Had me curious guys...the factory tilt column just sold for $370. I like the idea of a direct bolt in factory tilt.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Now what do you use to connect the steering shaftt to the box? Custom shaft or homemade?

custom shaft and two u-joints from Sweets manufacturing. 19" piece of bearing shaft and about 100 bucks worth of u-joints. Only hard part was getting the shaft on. 40 year old bolts don't let go easily.

My column hazard switch was easy to wire. a quick study of the two wiring diagrams and a lite probe and I had it working in 10 minutes. hard part was adding some wire to the harness so the thing would reach the column.

TOFIC