• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Time for change...Spidertrax 60/9 hybrids, and extended widened wheelbase

coby

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Ok..time to make some changes. I'm intending on putting in Spidertrax axles front and rear using the truhi9's and going to larger tires (40's? 42's?)

Got to decide on brakes (I think I'd like to keep my hydroboost but the dynalite calipers take 1000psi and the hydroboost puts out 3000psi....pressure reducers in my future, unless I can source a different caliper/hat/rotor combo that's compatible and a better choice)

Got to decide on how far to push the front axle forward, and what's involved with that. Anyone done writeups?

Got to decide whether or not to go full hydro on the steering...I'm leaning in that direction. Suggestions on brand/setup? Pointers?

Need to redo the rear too.....probably coilovers, with 3 link....what's the current king of flex back there setup for strong hp? (423ci roller motor with big cam and TFS heads)

Fuel tank options for when ya move the rear back?

Things to consider?

I'm kinda excited to get back into things. I'm going to keep a Twister arm setup for the front but ditch the wedge attachment. I love the flex I already get with that.

I'll take a ton of pics along the way if anyone's interested. Thanks for the discussions/help in advance.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
I have some pics of my build on here it is about 109" . If you need a specific pic shoot me an PM. I have a long way to go but the hardest part is almost done LOL.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a fun, money is not an issue build.

With respect the brakes, the last I checked, hydroboost does not output 3000 psi to the calipers. What it does output is a function of the hydroboost unit, pedal ratio, master cylinder bore size and the leg pushing on all of it. There are lots of guys running Wilwood components without an issues with hydroboost. That said, the Dynalite calipers are woefully undersized for a 4000+ pound rig like you're describing, especially if you like to abuse the brakes. You'd be much better off with a bigger caliper/pad combination, something like the Hummer calipers Wilwood supplies as it's more rigid and uses a larger pad and is dirt cheap relative to other aftermarket options. To be honest, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Ford or Chevy disc options for the majority of applications, unless you just want it to be custom.

OP
OP
C

coby

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Yea, money's not a big issue in this one, fortunately, so I'd like to do it right. I love the idea of a 14" rotor on this and adequate brakes. I'll look into the hummer calipers. I like keeping the unsprung weight down but not at the expense of function.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun, money is not an issue build.

With respect the brakes, the last I checked, hydroboost does not output 3000 psi to the calipers. What it does output is a function of the hydroboost unit, pedal ratio, master cylinder bore size and the leg pushing on all of it. There are lots of guys running Wilwood components without an issues with hydroboost. That said, the Dynalite calipers are woefully undersized for a 4000+ pound rig like you're describing, especially if you like to abuse the brakes. You'd be much better off with a bigger caliper/pad combination, something like the Hummer calipers Wilwood supplies as it's more rigid and uses a larger pad and is dirt cheap relative to other aftermarket options. To be honest, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Ford or Chevy disc options for the majority of applications, unless you just want it to be custom.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
perfect, thanks!

Good luck with your build. And thanks for the reply. Again if you need a specific pic shoot me a PM. I am sure that there are much better rigs on this site, but I am here to have fun. I hope to see pics of your build soon.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Ok..time to make some changes. I'm intending on putting in Spidertrax axles front and rear using the truhi9's and going to larger tires (40's? 42's?)

Got to decide on brakes (I think I'd like to keep my hydroboost but the dynalite calipers take 1000psi and the hydroboost puts out 3000psi....pressure reducers in my future, unless I can source a different caliper/hat/rotor combo that's compatible and a better choice)

Got to decide on how far to push the front axle forward, and what's involved with that. Anyone done writeups?

Got to decide whether or not to go full hydro on the steering...I'm leaning in that direction. Suggestions on brand/setup? Pointers?

Need to redo the rear too.....probably coilovers, with 3 link....what's the current king of flex back there setup for strong hp? (423ci roller motor with big cam and TFS heads)

Fuel tank options for when ya move the rear back?

Things to consider?

I'm kinda excited to get back into things. I'm going to keep a Twister arm setup for the front but ditch the wedge attachment. I love the flex I already get with that.

I'll take a ton of pics along the way if anyone's interested. Thanks for the discussions/help in advance.

PSC has the full hyrdo setup you'll need. Their techs are very knowledgeable and can answer any question you might have about that stuff.

The best wheelbase I've seen in person for a non-tube frame rig is 105" on Joe Lebowitz's rig. Everything on it is one off though there's not much in the way of directing you where to go to source link kits or anything.

Sounds like you're all in on this rig, can't wait to see the progress on this!

Here's Joe's rig

Attachments

• IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
C

coby

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Eh, been all in for a long time on this rig....had it featured in Petersens a decade ago. Just time to update things. :)

13" stretch.....maybe 5" in front and 8" in the rear....possible; I'll take a look and see how that looks. Definitely going to need to narrow the front....sigh.

I've been told Howe is preferable to PSC...any opinions on that?

I'll take lots of pics....though it is obvious there's about a billion more pics of various mods out than there was 10 years ago. Good to see...I love where the modding community has gone while I was away. :)

In related news; been looking at the True High9's and I'm liking the Mega9 setup with the 5.40's. That's yummy!

PSC has the full hyrdo setup you'll need. Their techs are very knowledgeable and can answer any question you might have about that stuff.

The best wheelbase I've seen in person for a non-tube frame rig is 105" on Joe Lebowitz's rig. Everything on it is one off though there's not much in the way of directing you where to go to source link kits or anything.

Sounds like you're all in on this rig, can't wait to see the progress on this!

Here's Joe's rig