• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing...

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Chiltons recommends the timing set at 6 degrees BTDC for my year (70).<br><br>What do you guys run / recommend? Motor is stock, has 600CFM Edelbrock performer carb & intake, headers, and Pertronix Ignitor II. I like to run the cheap gas (88 octane) - the premium stuff is too darn expensive for daily use here in CA.<br><br>TIA,<br><br>Jerry

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
I believe you need to go to a year with electronic ignition because that year (70) would be a points type ignition I run mine around 12 btdc

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
12 to 15 btdc works well but individual trucks vary if it knocks then back off a little. You should also not go past 32 degrees full advance at 3,000 RPM but you will have to mark your balencer and test with the vacuum and everything hooked up. Alot of distributers have the advanced curves adjusted to come in eairlier to pep things up but checking at 3,000 is a good safe area.

JMurray

I run mine at 10 degrees but it will take more if I want to. I used to tune my Mustang, with as much advance as possible without detonation. But I don`t race anyone with my Bronco.<br>Jerry

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I run 12 to 14. Ran like shit when it was set at 6 degrees to please the california smog gods.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
What do you guys suggest for a 302, MSD billet distributor (no box), and a Quadra Jet? I am at 10 BTDC now. Thanks.<br><br>I know I can limit the MSD with the springs, how do measure though at that high of RPM?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=9979;start=0#71989 date=1034110821]<br>What do you guys suggest for a 302, MSD billet distributor (no box), and a Quadra Jet? I am at 10 BTDC now. Thanks.<br><br>I know I can limit the MSD with the springs, how do measure though at that high of RPM? <br>[/quote]<br><br>10 is probably OK, but you could probably go with a little more. The advance springs on the MSD should be fully engaged by about 3000 RPM's, so here is the procedure to check it.<br><br>Get yourself a timing light that has an adjustable wheel. I have a sears craftsman that has served me well and can be bought for $60-70 or borrow one. Hook up the timing light, stand to the side of the bronco (if it pops out of gear, EB bumpers leave nasty marks on your kneecaps when it pins you against the garage door!), have someone rev the engine up to around 3K in neutral or park and shine the timing light down on the mark. Move the knob until the harmonic balancer is reading 0 on the pointer. Look at the knob on the timing light when your done and that will tell you your total advance. Opinions vary on what is acceptable and the standard I have heard is 30-35 degrees total advance max. Of course, if the motor pings, you will want to back off the timing. Good luck.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Cool thanks. I will have to play with it and see, but right now the truck goes into gear and just dies. The carb is getting enough fuel so I think it might be the timing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
C2 in reading your other posts. Id keep playing with the carb try raising your Idle to around 1000 rpm and leaning down your mixture screws it sounds like your butterflies are not open enough. the quadrajet adjusts a little differently than most carbs and will let you adjust idle to a almost closed butterfly and can cause the stumble you are having. But first I would check for a vacuum leak you may be adjusting your fuel to the leak rather than the air going through the carb. I doubt the timing at 10 degrees is your problem unless the damper is off.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I run an MSD Pro Billet, 6-A and Blaster Coil at 14 with stock bushings and lightest springs. I also run a MotorCraft 2brl and stock filter assembly. <br><br>Works great ;D

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
[quote author=blu72 link=board=5;threadid=9979;start=0#71968 date=1034107428]<br>I believe you need to go to a year with electronic ignition because that year (70) would be a points type ignition I run mine around 12 btdc<br>[/quote]<br><br>The 10-12 range was what I was thinking about trying... Thanks!

OP
OP
jerry

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=9979;start=0#71973 date=1034107824]<br>12 to 15 btdc works well but individual trucks vary if it knocks then back off a little. You should also not go past 32 degrees full advance at 3,000 RPM but you will have to mark your balencer and test with the vacuum and everything hooked up. Alot of distributers have the advanced curves adjusted to come in eairlier to pep things up but checking at 3,000 is a good safe area.<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is good information - appreciate your advice.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
When I was running stock distributor crap, I was running around 15-16 with blocking off the vacum advance.... Now with full MSD and offroad box I run somewhere over 18-19... I think, lol now I need to go look.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Yeah I bumped it up some yesterday and it seems to be doing better. It even runs when in gear. The vacuum is good, no leaks that I detect. I think it just needed more advance to keep it running. The Comp Cam I have in there likes gas... Thanks for the tips.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Oh yeah, by the way I am 4.5 turns out on the IMS on the Q jet. The builder and I tuned it on the phone the other day. The idle is 1000 while it is warming up, dropping to 800 when warm.

broncodan1

?:?<br>This makes me wonder if mine is timed correctly,i'm at <br>27 degrees onmy70 302,60 over with a perfomer cam<br>headers, a 600 holly and petronix ignition....it runs <br>great, but i have an overheating problem,and sometimes<br>it cranks over really slow....any input would be appreciated....