• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips on painting

Trappey74

Loc.
Cleveland
I'm thinking about stripping down my metal bumpers and reprinting them myself. Going to go back black with the bumpers. Any particular paint you like over another? Any tips on the whole process?

Mtgrizzlymn

Follow instructions and mix ratios! It's very easy really, mostly in the prep just take your time.

OP
OP
T

Trappey74

Loc.
Cleveland
I'm kinda on a tight schedule to get it cleaned up as much as possible and figured I could save some time and money right now painting them myself.

kip60

Prep is almost more important than the actual paint. Can't get them too clean and degreased. I use the poly abrasive wheel on a drill or angle grinder. Takes off paint and scale, leaves good metal. Get it smooth, if you have larger scratches and such, use high filling primer and sand smooth before color coat.

durwood71

I wouldn't use rattle can paint, usually doesn't hold up very well.
I painted my with epoxy primer then top coated with Van Sickle tractor/implement paint. You could also use their primer I just didn't have any at the time. Tractor paint is cheap at $30 per gallon, mix in their hardener and the paint is very durable and looks just as good as the more expensive auto motive paint. Reduce and cleanup with Naptha or mineral spirits. I painted my frame and chassis with this also.

BroncoMabry

I like the idea of paint over powder coating if you take it off-road. You can touch up scratches if it's paint. Touching up scratched powder coat just never looks right.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Touching up powder is very easy now days. All my powder suppliers have exact match touch up paint for their powders. You can get it in a small brush bottle or rattle can.
Looking at your pictures I would estimate your front bumper at about $150. That would be sand blasted clean and color coat. Back one probably around $100.
I don't think you could paint them that cheap. You might want to check with your local shop. If your stuck on painting them at least get them sand blasted. You'll never get them as clean as you can with blasting.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
KB Rustseal followed by a topcoat of Black. It'll stay on and hold up better than powder coating.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Get with your local auto paint store. Buy all of your materials from them and they will help you out. I personally like PPG, or Dupont. I've shot mostly PPG though. Stay away from cheap paint like Sherwin Williams/Martin Senor/or the crap Autozone or Summit sells unless you want to paint your rig again in 4-5 years.

Prep is 95% of a paint job, do all of your body work then prime, block sand, block sand, and then when you think your done, sand some more. After all of that clean, clean, clean, and when you think your done, clean again. Then you can shoot paint.

If your local community college has a hobby body shop, I'd suggest signing up for that, even if all you do is use the paint booth. If you need a place to work, a dedicated time, or professional help there's someone there to walk you through the process.

Good luck

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I don't have any experience with kb but I'd have to see it to believe any paint would hold up better than powder coat.
You could always bed liner it!!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have any experience with kb but I'd have to see it to believe any paint would hold up better than powder coat.
You could always bed liner it!!

Powder coating is just paint that's melted on. KBS isn't paint. It's a water cured coating. Hit powder coat with a hammer and it'll chip off. Hit KBS and nothing will happen. Once it's in, it's almost impossible to take off. I had to remove some to add something to my frame and it took a 40 grit grinding wheel quite some time to get it off. I still have some on my garage floor that when I tried to chip it off, took the floor with it.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I'll have to look into some of that it definitely would have its uses.
But powder coat is not just melted paint on top of metal but that is not the discussion here I'll save that for another post.
So is rust bullet, KBS, and POR -15 all kind of the same stuff??

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I'm about to paint the top on my '71. It's arrow straight & no rust thru, but has surface rust. Just gonna sand it, use prob epoxy primer & urethane paint. You're right, much cheaper to do it yourself, it's not hard to do either

Wyo4x4er

Rust bullet is awesome stuff. Use it at work all the time. Really tuff, but if you do not prep the surface well it flakes off, and then you have to prep the rust bullet really good too so the paint will stick. We just use the silver but I though the black was uv protected?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I am for powdercoat. I had my pre-runner from WH horse done three or four years ago on my old 76. They charged me $100. I dropped off rusty bumper on Monday, picked up on Wednesday. I had a semigloss or matte black in color. I did have some small rock chips but some black nail polish fixed that. So if you are like me and don't have much time or a sandblaster, consider powder coat. Get quotes as they all tend to vary. I used the same guy bc he gives me a "discount" bc I bring him a good bit of parts to get done.

KBS has a three step system that's hard to pass over. They usually send me 10 percent discount codes, just get on their email listing. All you do is take a wire brush over rust to knock most of it off. Then follow the steps. I plan to use that product on my axles.