• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tips on painting FORD raised letters on tailgate

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
right on! thank you all for your input, pics and suggestions! i am still in the middle of painting so i have some time to think about this.

cheers

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Here's another trick that helps a little bit .
If your doing the letters . Put ''one'' piece of tape Straight across the top & or bottom so each letter can all start from the same hight .
... The F ONLY HAS ON INCH flat bottom ... SO IT'LL HELP IF YOU HAVE a straight line of tape on top for the ''F'' lay the top of the F 1ST FROM TOP DOWN .
THEN MOVE TO THE '' D '' & Lay the D in place ... Now those 2 are straight .
Then move onto the O & the R.. By now you should know if you like working bottom up or top down..
....GOOD LUCK.
tHERE ALSO a way to pull the tape off to help with keeping the edges of the paint from being rough . But it's bee to long since I SOLD ALL the different kinds of paint .
at some point I'll try & explain that but it would take 45 minutes to write that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OH WELL, i TRIED! NOT EASY LOADING PICTURES on this site
check out MY Garage

You nailed it Dogio. To upload images directly to the discussion you have to be a contributor (12 bucks a year) but in lieu of that you can add them to your Garage and/or Gallery without cost.
Lots of us have spent the 12 bucks because it's worth it sometimes (for us heavy picture loading types!) to be able to show it right in the discussion thread.

And thanks for loading the pics too. Sweet looking Bronco!
Those are some of my favorite wheels too. Look great with our boxy bodies.

Yours is a classic Bronkenn! Boxwood Green (or some derivative thereof?) is one of my favorite colors. Always has been. Love the pizza-cutters too. Gives it that purposeful "Mr Ranger Sir" look.
And yes, the decals actually do look very good.

I had a set of the 3M ones a friend bought me years ago, until he borrowed them back after having to repaint his tailgate! That oughta' teach me to get things done quicker!

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You nailed it Dogio. To upload images directly to the discussion you have to be a contributor (12 bucks a year) but in lieu of that you can add them to your Garage and/or Gallery without cost.
Lots of us have spent the 12 bucks because it's worth it sometimes (for us heavy picture loading types!) to be able to show it right in the discussion thread.

And thanks for loading the pics too. Sweet looking Bronco!
Those are some of my favorite wheels too. Look great with our boxy bodies.

Yours is a classic Bronkenn! Boxwood Green (or some derivative thereof?) is one of my favorite colors. Always has been. Love the pizza-cutters too. Gives it that purposeful "Mr Ranger Sir" look.
And yes, the decals actually do look very good.

I had a set of the 3M ones a friend bought me years ago, until he borrowed them back after having to repaint his tailgate! That oughta' teach me to get things done quicker!

Paul

Thanks Paul and yes it is Boxwood Green.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm almost afraid to try (because painting is such a big decision for some of us) but I've always wondered what a 2-tone Bronco would look like with Boxwood Green on the bottom of the belt-line and Wimbledon White above it. Rather than just the hard top.

Heck, even reverse the color orientation! Usually the darker color is on the bottom but both look good in my mind.

I wonder... Was there ever a Boxwood Green with Ranger stripes?;D

Paul

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Stickers,the only way to go.😉;)

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 31

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
You know when I sold DuPoint paint all those years ..
Myself & all my employees just hate that Boxwood Green .
... But I have to admit after I became a member on here I've became a fan of the Boxwood Broncos.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..... OK I'LL give a little info on pulling the tape.
I believe this is from an I-Car class in about 1990.
SO SOME of the painter from today may can give a little help..
Now remember I sold Du Point paint. So if I'm referencing I'm talking DuPoint .
....... Now we sold 3 kinds of paint Lacquer .. Enamel & Acrylic Enamels .& 2000k types . & Imron. SO It wasn't 3 kinds more like 6 or 7 kinds .
.... SO you spray your paint . & DO TRIAL TEST. Since I can't remember .
But you grab onto a tag end left on your Striping tape & Lift up .
Lift it up in about a 30 degree angle ... If there is a sticky tail of paint pulling from the painted surface to your tape . Your going to be able to feel the edge after the tape is removed ^ Paint has finished drying .
.... Now another trial removal ... Grab the tag end lift up & PULL BACK AT ABOUT A 150* ANGLE & NOW ALSO ADD ABOUT A 30* NORTH away from the painted surface ...
This will CUT the EDGE SHARP & CLEAN. THIS will clean the Edge surface .. But this only works on certain Paints & CERTAIN DRY NESS Of the paints .
... Now in my world the Blue Striping tape was the best.
.But today there may be some new Red White & Blue tape That's better .. I don't know what's the best today . My day it was Blue 3M.
tHEY HAD A GOOD GREEN TAPE BUT it was not as good as the blue.
... Now also We put dow a strip of the blue 1/8 tape ... Pulling it solid & tight But don't stretch the 1/8 tape . The blue 1/8 tape you could control your 90 degree corners & Keeping them round ... Later you could come back with the 3/4 Green tape & cove the area next to the 1/8 blue tape . Some jobs could require 2 layers of the green tape making for almost an inch & quarter of tape before adding masking Paper.
I was selling Masking paper .. & Better Masking Paper & Plastic . & Lots of masking machines that added the tape to the edge of the paper.
& Machines that added 6 12 18 24 & 36'' papers. Plastic controlled over spray . But after you've painted a while you'll know how far your paint will drift & If overspray will be an issue .
...HVLP guns were new when I finished my paint career .. & Water base was just coming into my area.
... New Paper .. Yes I've used a ton of just newspaper & I'll likely use it on my next paint job. But I'll not get paid for doing my next paint job. It's planed but It was also planned last summer also .
... Certain Thinners & or Reducers can allow the Print from newspapers to come through & be left on your Org Paint surface .
......... I hope these old stories still have some Info you can use today .
But I'm sure Pulling the tape in some different ways Will Help you control the Crispness of your edges .
.... OH also you want the tape remove as fast as possible . This will give the paint time to relax & lay back down & help control the sharpness of the edge .

BradinEDH

Contributor
Here is how I did it. Put down the W White first, then masked it off. Then put down the harbor blue base. Lifted the tape and then clear. This took some time but looks really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_9053.jpg
    IMG_9053.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9054.jpg
    IMG_9054.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9087.jpg
    IMG_9087.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 35

1970 Palmer

..... OK I'LL give a little info on pulling the tape.
I believe this is from an I-Car class in about 1990.
SO SOME of the painter from today may can give a little help..
Now remember I sold Du Point paint. So if I'm referencing I'm talking DuPoint .
....... Now we sold 3 kinds of paint Lacquer .. Enamel & Acrylic Enamels .& 2000k types . & Imron. SO It wasn't 3 kinds more like 6 or 7 kinds .
.... SO you spray your paint . & DO TRIAL TEST. Since I can't remember .
But you grab onto a tag end left on your Striping tape & Lift up .
Lift it up in about a 30 degree angle ... If there is a sticky tail of paint pulling from the painted surface to your tape . Your going to be able to feel the edge after the tape is removed ^ Paint has finished drying .
.... Now another trial removal ... Grab the tag end lift up & PULL BACK AT ABOUT A 150* ANGLE & NOW ALSO ADD ABOUT A 30* NORTH away from the painted surface ...
This will CUT the EDGE SHARP & CLEAN. THIS will clean the Edge surface .. But this only works on certain Paints & CERTAIN DRY NESS Of the paints .
... Now in my world the Blue Striping tape was the best.
.But today there may be some new Red White & Blue tape That's better .. I don't know what's the best today . My day it was Blue 3M.
tHEY HAD A GOOD GREEN TAPE BUT it was not as good as the blue.
... Now also We put dow a strip of the blue 1/8 tape ... Pulling it solid & tight But don't stretch the 1/8 tape . The blue 1/8 tape you could control your 90 degree corners & Keeping them round ... Later you could come back with the 3/4 Green tape & cove the area next to the 1/8 blue tape . Some jobs could require 2 layers of the green tape making for almost an inch & quarter of tape before adding masking Paper.
I was selling Masking paper .. & Better Masking Paper & Plastic . & Lots of masking machines that added the tape to the edge of the paper.
& Machines that added 6 12 18 24 & 36'' papers. Plastic controlled over spray . But after you've painted a while you'll know how far your paint will drift & If overspray will be an issue .
...HVLP guns were new when I finished my paint career .. & Water base was just coming into my area.
... New Paper .. Yes I've used a ton of just newspaper & I'll likely use it on my next paint job. But I'll not get paid for doing my next paint job. It's planed but It was also planned last summer also .
... Certain Thinners & or Reducers can allow the Print from newspapers to come through & be left on your Org Paint surface .
......... I hope these old stories still have some Info you can use today .
But I'm sure Pulling the tape in some different ways Will Help you control the Crispness of your edges .
.... OH also you want the tape remove as fast as possible . This will give the paint time to relax & lay back down & help control the sharpness of the edge .

Never heard of this Du Point company?

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Here is how I did it. Put down the W White first, then masked it off. Then put down the harbor blue base. Lifted the tape and then clear. This took some time but looks really nice.

looks great! thanks for sharing
cheers

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s the way to do it. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro