• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Brand help!

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
I thought I would get everyones thoughts on what brand of tires I should go with. I drive my Bronco only on the weekends mainly in the spring and summer. 80% of the time on the road and 20% of the time off road approximetly 5-8 thousand miles a year. I want some type of mud terrain that wears somewhat ok on the road. Right now my choices are BFG muds, Super Swamper Trux mud terrain, Pro Comp mud terrain etc.. Anyone who has any type of recommendations will be appreciated. The size will probably either be 33 or 35 inch with a 3.5 inch lift. Thanks for your help.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have always had great luck with the BFG Mud Terrains. I usually get great miles out of the tires as well as great handling and a fairly quiete ride. No whinning from the tread at all in my experiences. No experience with the others.

Blue71

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
ProjectBronco70 said:
80% of the time on the road and 20% of the time off road approximetly 5-8 thousand miles a year. I want some type of mud terrain that wears somewhat ok on the road.

ProjectBronco70,

I have been searching for a long long time and am in your same shoes. Mine will have about the same miles & same ratios.

I am going with the MTRs for their overall GREAT ratings & also since I have a buddy who runs only them & gets between 40 & 50k out of them!

Just my 0.02!

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I'm sure everyone will disagree with me on this, but I've had great luck with Super Swamper Radials. They hold up pretty well over time on the road, but are a bit noisey. They will kick arse off road. Just my $0.02 worth... :cool:

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I would say your best bang for the buck are the BFG's I have ran them over and over through out the years. If you want to spend a little more buck and get a bit more bang then go with the MTR's. This will be my first set of MTR's so I cant really give my opinion on wear and such. But the tires below in the pics are the ones I just sold off of my bronco with nearly 70k on them. The key with mud tires as well as any tire is religious rotations and balance checks as long as you do that most tires will last you much longer. Proper front end alignment is key as well

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Tread.jpg
    Tread.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 31

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
Tire Brand Help

My opinion is MTR's are the best all around. They wear the best and you can't beat the sidewalls on the trails. Nice quiet ride on the road as well. My old BFG were loud. Go to a Goodyear dealer they will usually negotiate pricing.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
remember to bring your best price quote to sears, they will price match plus 10% but you need to ask for it. they can get the bfg and mtr's.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just had to make the same decision. I chose the Super Swamper SSR. They are not noisey at all compared to the other swampers. I wanted a tire that would wear well and be very aggressive off road, which is what led to my decision. If I were going to driving it a lot, and be on the highway constantly I would have chose the BFG's. My F250 is on it's 3rd set and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck...the tires out there make this a tough decision.

Brewbro21

I vote for BFG's can't go wrong with them. Look at the brand most pro off roaders use...BFG. Has to mean something.

Projp

I put probably 400,000 miles on BFG muds (not the same set) over the years and overall had really liked them. Good milage and traction in snow and mud. I've run Pro Comp muds on my crawler and been pleased with the exception of to flimsy sidewalls for serious rock crawling. Currently switched to MTR's and will have to update after the next trip to Moab.

Bronco_Rider

Loc.
Brentwood, Ca
best tires

Hi,
I would go with the Yokohama Geolander. The 33 12.5 15 is directional and has a tread that is a full 10.5" wide.
Much wider than most mud tires. Tire Rack has the best prices.
Saw a set on a Jeep and they are very impressive. Son purchased a set and they are great in the sand dunes. They will be my next set.

Bronco_Rider

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
I ahve the goelanders on my 2000 F-250 and they work great! With a limted slip in the front and rear I hanv't had any trouble with getting stuck in the snow or mud yet. But of corse it is my street truck so I don't go off road in it much. They are also rather quit for an mud type tire. I have TSL's on my EB and the are about 4 times as loud at least.

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
I have nothing but good things to say about my pro comp mud terrains. They are very similar to the bfg M/Ts but normally a bit cheaper. Also Pro comp just released a new all terain that looks alot like a M/T but has better on road noise levels. There is a small picture in this months Peterson's 4wheel in the sema section. They are called Xtreme A/T's if I remember correctly.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
If you want bang for the buck why not look at the General Grabber MT's? They are a close knockoff of the BFG and cost less. My brother inlaw ran them in 33's on his TJ. I was very impressed with the way they preformed for $100 a piece.

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
I run 35" BFG Muds on the Jeff150, my daily driver. I've put a little over 26,000 miles on this set since last May. They are just now starting to look something other than brand new. Like was said before rotating and keeping them balanced is the key. You'd probably do well with any of the ones mentioned so far in this thread, I am just really impressed with these tires. I should easily get better than 50,000 out of this set and they ride great. My .02.

Attachments

• jeff150.JPG
    jeff150.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 15