• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tire priorities and recommendations

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando
I'm trying to make a decision on new tires. I've just about given up on finding whitewalls to replace the ones I have now and love.

I'm about to do a 2.5 inch SL and no BL, and it will stay uncut.

On this forum I think there are many different ideas about what is important in tires, but MY Tire Priorities are as follows, in order of importance to me:

1- Sized for stock wheels and hubcaps, with 2.5 inch SL no BL
2- Quiet on pavement, where they will spend 99.5 percent of their time
3- At least mildly aggressive looking tread (guess I'm a poser)
4- Last long time
5- Price

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
I think the BFG A/Ts are what you are describing if your priorities are in the correct order. I don't think they are expensive but they aren't as cheap as like the Mastercraft Coursers. I think they look the best on LUBRs.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Read through the "Show off your LUBER" thread. I'd be shocked if you didn't decide that the BFG A/Ts in 30x9.5.x15 is what you want to go with!

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
Read through the "Show off your LUBER" thread. I'd be shocked if you didn't decide that the BFG A/Ts in 30x9.5.x15 is what you want to go with!

I agree!! I know a guy thAt might sell you a set of white wall snow tires. They are the same ones I have on my bronco and I'm going to run a 2.5" lift.. 235/75x15

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
BFG A/T's will last a really long time and are good at "not" hydro planing.
I have run atleast five or six sets of these through the years. I actually got over 70,000 miles on one set (results may vary disclaimer). I kept one just to show people. It would still be a good spare.

Kiddingknot,

I am glad you're keeping the stock look for your '73. That darn thing is gorgeous!

OP
OP
K

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando

Thanks very much. You and JSPURL3 have definitely confirmed what I was thinking already. Before starting this thread I had been reading old threads that mentioned tires, including looking at many photos in the "It's LUBR time so show us your uncut Bronco" thread. I really think the Mustard Bronco in Zillicon's photos looks fantastic, and that's what he's running. Here is one of his photos:

Attachments

• BroncoPics005.jpg
    BroncoPics005.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 42

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thanks very much. You and JSPURL3 have definitely confirmed what I was thinking already. Before starting this thread I had been reading old threads that mentioned tires, including looking at many photos in the "It's LUBR time so show us your uncut Bronco" thread. I really think the Mustard Bronco in Zillicon's photos looks fantastic, and that's what he's running. Here is one of his photos:

It's funny, the older I get the more I like that mustard yellow eb color.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO

Nope.....those are mud terrain T/As.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
We have a 74 Ranger in Sequoia brown -very similar looking to yours. I like the aggressive look as well and went with BFG Mud Classics. It's not a daily driver so these tires will last a very long time for me. I am sure the ATs would be a bit quieter but I have not found them to be loud at all. I have had a couple of sets of ATs (currently have a set on my 78) and I don't think I'd get another set. I'd probably go with a GY Duratrac. Good reviews and more aggressive looking than the BFG AT. I run the Ranger with the white steelies and no hub caps -here's a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 25

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I ran G-78-15s (yes bias ply tires) in mud and snow configuration on our 76. It would go anywhere I needed it to and with very little road noise. I am actually thinking about L-78-15s for Elmer. They are still available if you google classic truck tires. That particular EB is taunting me from the garage next door and I have been told that the tires are still around that were on it. The current owner changed rims and tires.

OP
OP
K

kiddingknot

Loc.
Orlando
BFG A/T's will last a really long time and are good at "not" hydro planing.
I have run atleast five or six sets of these through the years. I actually got over 70,000 miles on one set (results may vary disclaimer). I kept one just to show people. It would still be a good spare.

Kiddingknot,

I am glad you're keeping the stock look for your '73. That darn thing is gorgeous!

thanks for the compliment - it actually took me a long time to decide if I would even do a small suspension lift, and I'm still not sure that's the right thing to do. But, at least it's something that could be "undone" some day if I really wanted to :)