• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Title question - missing options

sdb172

I received a 77 bronco for free (with bos that I paid nothing) the owner had got it years back in a storage auction and wanted it gone it had been sitting in his field for some time. VIN tag wont come up in the PA DMV system since it gets washed out in 7 or 8 years of no registration.

Has anyone ever used the Vermont method of applying for plates and reg out of state to then obtain a title in pa or has anyone used maine'ly titles (seems pricey). I want to do this the correct way so I have no issues.

Any insight will help. based off the window inspection it was last inspected in pa in 1988.

67RT

Bronco Guru
We might be more helpful with pictures of this free beast.

Do they have no central MVA that can inspect the vehicle and access a national database? Seems pretty lame. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
In my state you can go to DMV, the state police theft unit will run the VIN. If it comes up not stolen or registered (completely off the electronic system -which isn't that uncommon for 40 year old cars), you can request a lost / replacement title. That said, each state is different and it can be a nightmare...I would suggest getting the title before working on the Bronco or spending a lot of money. On one car it took an hour and another it took a month...

OP
OP
S

sdb172

The VIN doesnt come up in PA. I am hearing its a real pain in PA due to getting a bond and dealing with a judge etc. Just looking for other options and to see if anyone used either option above. Ive seen several threads on it in different places.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Weather the vin comes up or not. If you have a. Notorized bill of sale and some proof of the sellers ownership previously then they should be able to give you a title. In wv which is just across your border you fill out title request, have the police do a serial number verification (a cop comes out and checks the vin against the paperwork and runs the vin to see if it is stolen) then you go to the dmv with the paperwork and they give you a title

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Does he have any paper work from the auction /Bill of sale. Try to get a bill of sale.
You could try this I believe it is free https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
In TX here is what they say

In order to qualify, you must be:
◾a Texas resident, or
◾Military personnel stationed in Texas, or
◾Have a vehicle that was last titled in Texas.

The vehicle must be in your possession and cannot be considered abandoned, junked, stolen, or in any other pending lawsuits. Although not required to be operational, it must be a complete vehicle including a frame, body and motor or if a motorcycle, a frame and motor.

If you meet the above eligibility requirements you may take or mail the following documents and a $15.00 administrative fee to the nearest TxDMV Regional Service Center:

◾A Statement of Fact for Bonded Title (Form VTR-130-SOF)
◾Any supporting evidence of ownership (Bill of Sale, Invoice, Cancelled Check, etc.)
◾Acceptable photo ID

67RT

Bronco Guru
I had to go thru a judge in MD with a "Writ of Mandamus" which ordered the MVA to register my vehicle as it was registered by glove box vin (wrong) and not the frame VIN (right). Didnt have to, just wanted to. Step one: inspection at MVA by State Troopers. They verified frame VIN and with the Marti could verify the frame VIN was correct. Also, MD is a frame VIN state. Step Two: complete writ of mandamus paperwork and take to clerk of court. Judge approves writ after several weeks. Step Three: Back to MVA to have trooper remove errant glove plate and apply state issued VIN tag. He said they soon would have a process to issue the correct VIN if documents support it, but not yet so I got the state VIN. Step 4: Across street to MVA office and registration complete.
A pain as this is only done in the Baltimore office/Garage, but at least not linked to an unknown VIN now.
I also found out my truck had been stolen in 1978 and recovered in 1979. No idea why glove box VIN. It is a Cali truck so maybe taxes werent paid and they needed to reregister.