• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Title question (Ohio)

Millersir

Loc.
Columbus
I foolishly purchased a 71 Bronco, paid for it, then realized the PO hadn't transferred the title into his name. Neither did the PO before him. So he hands me this Michigan title filled out and signed from 3 POs ago to the guy 2 POs ago. I can't get ahold of anyone that could help me with this title thing. Trust me, I've tried all legal means available to find their current contact info and get them to actually help me. What do I do in this situation? Ohio won't do bonded titles. They will allow for a court appointed title but the process is 12 steps and had a 5% success rate. I can't get a salvage title because I don't have receipts for all major components. Anyone ever run into a situation like this?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
You should be able to get a hold of the last guy that's listed on the title and get him to apply for a new title if the previous owners never registered it or transferred title. His address should be on that title. Michigan is a pretty easy state to deal with title problems. Ohio is one of the hardest. Once the previous owner gets the new title, he can sign it over to you, than you can take it and the truck to the DMV and they will inspect VIN number on truck and title to see if they match. Ken

OP
OP
M

Millersir

Loc.
Columbus
Is there any workaround if I cannot get in touch with the guy on the title? I've tried getting ahold of him via phone, email, Facebook, and snail mail. No reply. Does anyone on this forum happen to know Jason Nahs of Grand Rapids, Michigan?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If you have the original title and it has not been altered then you should have the name and address of the original buyer and the name of the original owner on the title. If the buyer didn't register it then it would still be in the original owners name at the DMV. You should be able to get ahold of one of the two names on the title. Ken

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... county song here...
....... This hole title thang has gotten plum out of Hand.
Can you take a bill of sale into some state that will let you get a title in another state ... Find a member here that'll understand & Help you ... Put it in his name ... AFTER HE GETS THE TITLE .. Bring his title to your state &then put it into your name .

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I've got a few extra titles in my file drawer, just for this type of thing...

And I realize there are some scared/paranoid type of people that like to draw negative attention to themselves and/or quote laws and rules about why you "can't". I don't go through the world trying to figure outwhat I can't do, I like to get thing done. Save these type of comments for someone else that wants to drowned in that dribble. I'm a classic car enjoyer, small-time collector, and buyer/seller/trader.

The fact remains that there are quite a few old bronco's, and other cool old classic's around that don't have a title and therefore are difficult or imposible to register. Some states go to lengths for "inspections", and some don't. Its easy to get a reproduction VIN tag and sticker to match the VIN number on the title, then simply go register it and drive away. Another old classic saved!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Its easy to get a reproduction VIN tag and sticker to match the VIN number on the title, then simply go register it and drive away. Another old classic saved!

>> your confused.... there is no VIN tag on early broncos... you can buy reproduction warranty tags for the bolt on glove box door that just so happen to have the VIN#'s on it.... as the value keeps rising on these trucks #'s will keep getting more scrutinized... Ford really should have put "not for title and registration purposes" on the warranty tag like their other vehicles....
80-img_20130527_191617_383_b72c0fdd9c64a98b9adeaa8409cabb1dfce2e03e.jpg

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Ford really should have put "not for title and registration purposes" on the warranty tag like their other vehicles....

Agreed, during my VIN inspection the young lady looked at my warranty plate, tacked onto the side of the driver seat platform by some PO, and called it good %)

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Each state is different, if you can't track down the owners here in Delaware I would ask for a lost title. State Police inspect car, run VIN and if no longer in the system and not stolen, you get a form to go get a new title.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So a title has one Buyer and one seller section. I'm guessing both of those sections are filled out. How much money are we talking? Is sales tax involved? If sales tax is involved, you have a bunch of problems I think. I own a 4 wheeler that tax was never paid on (long story) and I went to register it and they wanted back taxes and penalties from ME not the PO. So it's still not registered.

If no sales tax, Forget the "owners" between the original sale and the person you bought it from. Those are pass through owners and the state (any state) will not recognize them as owners unless they have a bill of sale from the person that bought it from.

What should have happen is it be registered but as a minimum. you should have been provided with a bill of sale from each pass through showing a chain of custody. Technically the pass through owners were never owners and had no rights to the rig unless they had copies of all the bills of sale. In Legal terms, stolen property but that's a stretch.

You need to work with the person who has his or her name on the back of the title as the "buyer". A simple bill of sale from him to you will work in 99% of these situation.

Else.......you could "find" a bill of sale with the information you need???

Call the BMV an ask them what you need in this case. Car was bought from X by Y and never registered never driven on the roads. Now you want to buy said rig. Ask them what document they require.

Tim

67RT

Bronco Guru
Can you simply go to the DMV and say I bought this truck but never registered it? Did they sign it but not date it?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go to small claims court, file against the guy who sold you the truck. Or at least send a demand letter to the guy who sold it to you saying you will. Buyer beware however, they are assumed to be sold titled free and clear unless otherwise noted. Did he tell you he had no title or claim to vehicle? Handing you a stack of three versions of sales proves he knew he did not have legal claim to the vehicle. He owes you a title and its his problem to get it, or he owes you a refund. Bottom line for the future, don't hand over money till you see the title in the guys name you are buying it from.

You might get away using the above techniques and "loose" the middle men info, just use the original owners info from Mi, but you need to go to Mich to get it cleared up, sorry. I'm saying bring the guy to court, or threaten him anyway.. Really you gave the guy cash not having looked at vin and title? Sorry man.