• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

to buy or not to buy

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
I went to look at a possible parts bronco today, 76 cut with hardtop, body is in very poor condition and tub is beyond saving IMO, door pillars have hinges and strikers all welded on, and crooked at that. the top is out of shape and has obvious welded in patches, tailgate does too. the positives are: good running 302 with fresh rebuilt motorcraft2100, c4 and J shift d20(not sure of condition of these) d44 with factory discs and booster, dont know about diffs condition or ratio. the seats including rear are in better shape than my 75, as is the dash pad, wiper cover, door panels and a few small parts. frame had some repair forward of the motor mounts, so I assume it was wrecked in front at some point. the guy was asking 2500$, needs to sell before his wedding blah blah blah, but called me back tonight to offer it for 1900$. I have the cash, but am still reluctant as the only things I REALLY need are the discs and booster, rear seat, dash pad and some of the door innards. I know, I should've taken pics but do you think it's worth it

Nightstick

Bronco guy
NNNOOO!!!

If the tub was salvagable I might say yes, but if it's that bad, has frame damage, etc definitely not.

OP
OP
M

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
I had 1200-1400 in my head when i was looking at it, it did have alot of the chrome trim still in decent shape, and some 50% ish 32x 10.50s mounted on some newer aluminum wheels.

OP
OP
M

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
my wife and local code enforcement would also prefer that I didnt tear apart another vehicle in my yard%)

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I paid $1000 for a matching set of '76 axles...D44 w/disc and big bearing rear end. Both with 4.11s. That included local delivery to my home. It really depends on the condition of the axles...if they are straight and just need rebuilding, I think $1500-$1800 would probably be a good deal. But you do have to buy the thing, transport it, register it (maybe), disassemble to get at the axles etc etc.

The '76-'77 D44 w/disc are getting hard to come by...especially in parts trucks. Good luck!

14333_1263251507266_1409080963_767405_2148595_n.jpg

Last edited:

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
No more than $1500 and thats if it runs, rolls, and has a tiltle. No run, No Roll, No title No more than $500.

OP
OP
M

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
He has a title, and i can drive it home, Think i'm gonna pass on it, he seems very desperate to sell, and makes me think theres some things he's not telling me. for the money he wants, i can order my lift, all new fuel tanks, and disc brake setup from any of the vendors

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
With all due respect to a guy with over 2,000 posts,but thats some of the worse advice I have ever heard on here..

Damaged frame, worthless body, with a top in poor shape and unsure of the drive train other than a decent running 302 (that are given away all the time). I bought a d 44 disc brake front and 2 bb rears for $300 with a tranny and transfer case thrown in. Maybe it depends on location but in New England we have a lot more hard parts cause the salt kills the bodies. No offense taken, this is just my opinion based on his discription. If he does not like the advice he does not need to take it but I would not spend more than $500 based on his discription.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I'm with you Pete...I paid $400 for a non running '76 chassis with 2 titles, C4, D44 & BB 9"...Stripped the axles, plopped the C4 in the Turd and salvaged the rest of the goodies. Sounds WAY overpriced for what it is...welded hinges and strikers? Patched top? all you're buying it for is parts. No where near worth the money he's asking (The Turd was much less than he's asking and it also came with 2 titles, ran, and was on the road in less than 2 months of weekend work [trust me, Mass inspections are a little stringent]). I'd offer no more than $750 (seeing you can drive it, although I wouldn't with the frame).

Again, just an opinion, he can take it or leave it, but there's no need to bash an opinion because you disagree.