• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too much Power Steering Pressure???

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Getting everything wrapped up on my 77 Bronco finally. Drives very nice, Hydroboost Brakes are great but the steering is Waaay Too Easy. In fact it keeps trying to move in direction I initially turn. I think I am getting too much Pressure/flow to the stock 77 Steering Box???

Set Up:

351w Motor with 95 E-Series pulleys - Fairly Large Stock Crank Pulley, New Dual Return Pump with Stock Pulley, Stock WP and Alt Pulleys.

Astro Van Conversion Hydroboost - Plumbed Correctly - Brakes Work Great.

Stock 77 Steering Box.

Solution:

1. Larger Diameter PS Pump Pulley?

2. Larger Diameter PS Pump Pulley and Smaller Crank Pulley?

3. Flow Control Valve to Steering box?

Please let me know your thoughts or experience with same issue.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one like that, it was way too easy to turn, I sent it off to have it checked/fixed and it turned out to be the torsion bar in the gear box was worn/broken.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X2, sounds like a box problem, I've never heard of getting too much pressure to the box.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Is the box converted to a 3 or 4:1 ratio? That certainly take a bit of getting used to and produces similar results with a powerful pump.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not a conversion ratio box, but the 76-77 were the quicker ratio boxes.

I have another 76 steering box, so I am tempted to replace it and see if that cures the problem.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is the first time I have had this problem. Sounds like a simple fix though.

Who has the parts needed? Rebuild steering box?