• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too much power??

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ask Bax about the lifespan of transmissions behind big number engines.

I would think you'd want an NV4500 if you want it to live, but then it is not going to shift very quickly. If it were me, I'd run the stock trans as long as it lives, pick up another to toss in if the first one dies, and figure out the next trans at that time.

Not a bad way to go.

In many parts of the country Bronco 3 speeds are given away.

Joe473

What about ZF or M5R2? I would think the Zf could handle a moderate 351

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I'll second the top loader 4spd. It is tough, light and you can have a great 3spd and OD if you wish, or a close-ratio 4spd. Very versatile. It's been around awhile, but proven in all kinds of apps.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What about ZF or M5R2? I would think the Zf could handle a moderate 351

The ZF was used in the bigger trucks (250 and 350) but those 351W's were only rated at 210hp at 3800RPM They were low compression at 8.8:1

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The ZF was used in the bigger trucks (250 and 350) but those 351W's were only rated at 210hp at 3800RPM They were low compression at 8.8:1

Tim

True,
But the ZF5 is conservatively rated at either 420 ft/lbs (S5-42) or 470 ft/lbs (S5-47).

The same gear set was also used for 460's and Powerstroke diesels.
The only differences were the bell end of the housing and the clutch throw-out system.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're pushing 500 horses/ft lbs your NV3500 will snap. It's only rated to 300, but can take 400. While "more is better" is a typical mindset, 400 hp/ft lbs with a 5 speed is fine. Where you NEED the higher power is at higher speeds and your Bronco isn't the vehicle to be passing a car at 70 mph. If you want to light up the tires or go fast around town, raise the ratio on your differential.

Do you really want to be doing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbd_Jv6J0s

Bronco doesn't have enough weight in the back to keep the tires from smoking with lots of power.

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpKfpOl1OGA

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...What's been keeping me in the 3 speed is I kinda like the feel of the old school trans. Plus it's nice to just put it in second gear and go most of the time around town. That second gear has a nice range with my tire/gear combo.

What is that tire size with those 4.56's? If it's been discussed already, I missed it.

I'm with the guys on the old 4-speed top-loader as an option. Lots of stuff from mild to wild, but I would not expect some of those options to come cheap. But at least it's a strong tranny.
As is the stock one actually. Not sure what it's rated at, but perhaps the tight tolerances let it live a long life. But they've used them behind some decent engines in the past. Just not the ratios I would choose.

And speaking of ratios... That characteristic you like now, might not be the same with a 500 hp engine doing the motivation. Would depend greatly on where the torque comes in of course. And that's up to you with the build.
How's the match of the gears to your tire size now? Sounds like you're enjoying it so far?

The thing is this truck is a 3000 mile per year toy and NEVER gets pounded off road. I can feel the eye rolling that's going on by the purists out there but my off road days are behind me and this thing sees more car shows and trips with my girlfriend and our dog to the ice cream place then anything else...

Not so many rolling eyes any more Speed. You're way too much in the majority of newer EB owners for that to happen to any (relatively?) open-minded group such as we have here.%)
I'd say the vast majority of new-ish buyers (say, the last 1.5 to 2 years or so) are using theirs for just what you are. Bopping around town in a cool ride, with the top off and the family in tow.
The kids absolutely LOVE these things.

FWIW, I think you'd be "unhappy" w/the NV3550 in that application. It's big, it's cumbersome, and it ain't exactly a powershifter's dream...

Agree with you on the Top-Loader Ganz, and probably the overall happy factor with the NV, but with the "big and cumbersome" are you sure you're talking about a 3550? Maybe the 4500 instead?
Installed, the 3550 is virtually the same length as stock, so all driveshafts can remain the same. Helps to have the 1" body lifts of course, but it's not huge. Girth-wise, they're larger, but no larger than any of the other truck-based transmission swappers I'm aware of. And from what I know, virtually the same size as that AX-15.
Definitely not speed-shifters, but I've seen worse truck trannies. And definitely not in the same league as the top loader, and can't handle the power, like you said. But size-wise it ain't half bad.
Regarding the power handling ability, I have a customer that's been absolutely BEATING on his 3550 with a big engine and big tires like described. He's a big kid racing around on the street and in the mud down South, literally trying to kill the 3550 and can't. I wouldn't recommend that, but so far so good for him.

If you're set on a 5 speed, look at a New-In-The-Box AX-15. I know I'm gonna get some heat about this suggestion from the "haters" that THINK they know it all about that transmission, but the latest ones can handle 400HP & 400 ft/lbs. of torque...

I thought the AX-15 was as well accepted around here as the 3550? And maybe even better with the availability being better in some cases and, the higher capacity that you're quoting.
I must have missed some fun discussions!;D

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
A toploader 4 speed is not a 4 spd overdrive...least not by old skool standards... A true toploader is a car tranny that can handle all power you can put to it and if you get the wide ratio 4 speed out of a SBF Mustang, Torino or Fairlane, etc, your 1st gear ratio is very close to what your stock 3 spd is. I ran this tranny for years and there is no better FUN tranny to drive around town in a Bronco with...just plain fun.

If I remember right for the toploader you don't even have to change driveline lengths (been 15 years tho-don't quote me!!).

A four spd overdrive tranny is a 3 spd with the accompanying terrible gear splits (like ZF's, 4500's, etc) with an overdrive.

I've owned and used in my Bronco- stock 3 spds, 4 speed toploader, 4spd overdrive, ZF, C4, and now a 4R70W.

My .02 Have fun, go wheeling

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think what was referred to earlier is the ability to make a standard top loader with an overdrive 4th gear. Maybe I'm wrong and that is the OD tranny type they were talking about, but I thought I remembered seeing where companies sold an o.d. type gear set that would fit the old-school case.

Could be wrong though, as I wasn't paying particular attention, knowing I would not be using one anytime soon.

What about shifters? Are they still available through Hurst or someone else?

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I think I just sold what I think is the best shifter for the toploader 4 speed for Bronco use. Instead of side linkage that for me anyway was always needing hosing out for mud removal or I would have to climb underneath to remove sticks because it wouldn't shift, I converted a top shifter from a Jeep 4 speed from the mid '80s so the shifter comes out the top... it's a short throw (not quite as fast as the side shift) but very nice and fast for bouncing those front tires off the ground!! lol

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The overdrive conversion toploaders use very thin gears, not what you would want with an engine putting out that kind of power.

Not the factory Town & Country overdrive toploaders, but the ones that are converted from regular toploaders.

RT9

I did the toploader steel case OD and converted it to the aluminum case with the top shifter. When doing this you can play with the gear sets (input and cluster) to come up with a couple options and shorten then big gear gap. The top shift is the katz nutz.

The gearing i chose is basically same as the nv4550. And with the hotter powerplant you are wanting, the added torgue will make up for any wide gearing gaps. The OD is nice for the highway, but seldom needed in town.
4fe8c686c68e5879ed9fa04a139625e6.jpg

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Great read, love threads like this ;D

Running a 427 right now that dyno'd 470hp and gobs of low end torque. Lots of fun, even though I have no need for more power i want a different transmission. So I'm yarding out the whole drivetrain to stick a 6 speed auto in it.

As far as anti wrap goes, James Duff has a few options. There is a low cost bolt on setup that only requires drilling a few holes for $100. I have heard guys running these on big hp motors doing clutch dumps. (Disclaimer) I personally have not tested them with your combo

http://www.dufftuff.com/Classic_Traction_Bar_1966_96_Bronco_78_96_F150_p/5300.htm

Then there's the super bad ass option. Which requires welding on the axle.

http://www.dufftuff.com/Long_Travel_Traction_Bar_1966_77_Bronco_p/5326.htm

BRONKEN

Loc.
Morgan Hill, Ca
How many of you with the added HP are running injection and who is running a carb? I'm about to start down this same path and any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, it's just never enough, is it?;)
One little cam swap under your belt and you've got the bug big time!

Paul

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
I keep reading the title of this thread and it reminds me of the comedian that said (facetiously): "I had to stop dating her - her tits were just too big...";D