• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too tall? UPDATED PHOTOS - 5 1/2 inch wild horses lift on uncut bronco

Too Tall or Just Right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
@ traction - Yours looks pretty good! I think I'll have to get 33s too. What is the width of your tires?

Now I'll need a roll cage also just to get in and out. haha

Thanks to everyone who has had nice things to say about it! It's been like a part time job for my husband. We've worked on it together, but he's done all of the work on it. It's just about on the road and I'm so excited!

For reference here is my rig:

I purchased mine recently and the previous owner installed the 5.5 wild horse lift and 2 inch body lift. I have 33 inch procomp xterrains on it right now and this is how it sits.
2gx36lk.jpg

jlong1974

Just a question, but why did you go to the trouble of replacing the rear quarter cut outs if you are just wanting to lift it enough to fit 33's?
James

OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
Replaced the rear quarters because one side was cut different than the other and they didn't match. The quarters were also rusting and we didn't want rust to pop back through the paint.

We thought we already had a little bit of lift on the bronco to start with (it had an add-a-leaf and was 3 inches taller than our black parts bronco), so when I ordered the 5.5 lift, thinking it would gain 2-3 inches.

Got the rear leaf springs on and and it was a bit of a shock how tall it is. Still deciding exactly what to do now. If we keep it, we have to buy new drive shafts, tires, possibly rims, and some extended brake lines.

Plus not sure that once the entire lift is on and have tires that look right, if it will still be street-legal with 28" Virginia bumper law or how it will handle when driving.

Since this has come up, I've been searching the site and really like the look of this one. One of the threads says its got 5.5 and 33" tires. Not sure if that's true or not, but I definitely like the look.
attachment.php

jlong1974

Cool. As others have said, I would finish instaling the lift before making a decision.

James

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I like it in the 1st pic. Nice work on the rig.

Welcome to the site
i am madgyver

OP
OP
ghettoct

ghettoct

Loc.
williamsburg
So we got the front on and it did end up coming down a bit in the back. I'm sure it will come down some more once we fill up the gas tank. I updated the photo in the original posting with the new updated picture of the bronco with the 5.5 suspension lift. We measured the bumpers and it is legal now. ;D I still think we'll need a little bit bigger tires though.

willtel

I said too tall but that was before I read that you wanted bigger tires. With more rubber it will look cool.