• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Took hardtop off, now windshield shakes

work765

Now that my hardtop is off the windshield shakes like hell on every little bump. I can hardly look in my rear view mirror going down the street.

The windshield is not resting directly on the little supports on the roll bar.

Is there someone way to attach it to something, so it doesn't shake so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Most common solution is to attach small turnbuckles at each end of the windshield frame back to the cage.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Are you missing the two bolts in the dash? Even with them in the windshield will shake, but without them it would flop all over the place.

Bdhand

Contributor
What is the solution if you don't have a full roll cage to attach the windshield to? What are other people doing with just a 4 point harness?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Use really long turnbuckles ;)

I'm somewhat kidding. I have seen support tubes run all the way to the frame from the bar behind the front seats. Silly looking in my opinion, but does the trick.

OP
OP
W

work765

Thanks guys!
I'm gonna find some turnbuckles and go that route. A buddy of mine said if you don't want to tap it; You can torch it and weld in a nut. This way you Don't have to worry about getting a clean/straight tap.

OP
OP
W

work765

Get the turnbuckles from any hardware store I assume, or are there fancier ones you guys are using?

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Having a bikini top stops them from bouncing ;), I know it's not topless, but at least it's mostly topless.

kanderson

I don't have a cage just a roll bar and I run a bikini top so I just built a a 1" tube that runs from the bikini top front plate to the roll bar in the center. Top holds the windshield steady.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I did this mod last weekend, and I was incredibly impressed with results. I installed the kit offered by Tom's. I welded the nuts to my cage, did not trust myself tapping a hole in the tube. I will say my Bronco feels like a new Bronco. Apparently the majority of my rattles and squeaks were coming from my windshield frame. I can hardly explain how quiet and solid my Bronco now feels, it is fantastic. And I would say a bikini top does very little to stiffen the windshield frame, did not help mine. Before these supports, I would swear my cage was moving when I hit every little bump. Well, it was not moving much, but the windshield/body sure was wiggling. Now, I am very happy!

Hole drilled to clear the bolt

Ready to tack the nut to cage

And all done on one side, pad taped back on

Figure out a way to strengthen/stiffen your windshield frame. It will take it from rattletrap to very solid.