• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Took The Bronco Down The Drag Strip, Got A New Personal Best

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo Bronco bros and sisters
Finally had a chance to take the bronco down the drag strip with the NV3550

I know most of the improvment is due to having the carb dialed in a lot better than last year, though the new trans may have helped some.

I made two runs, one a 15.48@85.54mph and the one in the attachment. The second run I rode 3rd gear a few hunderd feet further, and launched 500rpms higher. Both runs I bogged a little off the line, I was a little nervous to drop the clutch at to high of a rpm. The 2nd run I brought it up to around 3000 rpms.

I tell you while I was far from the fasted vehical there tonight, the Bronco impressed, and had tons of people come up to me and tell me it was the coolest run of the evening.

So here is my new personal best with the bronco(right lane-car #399) A full 1.1 second faster than last year

Attachments

• 15.23.jpg
    15.23.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 184

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Congrats Don. That's a damn good improvement on time.

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
it's faster than mine, I think I got a 15.89 about 5 years ago, launched it hard in 4wd so I wouldn't sit there spinning. it's always fun when you can beat a few people with a 4wd..

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
on 35's too right Don?

Yep, the 35's are the only tires I have

it's faster than mine, I think I got a 15.89 about 5 years ago, launched it hard in 4wd so I wouldn't sit there spinning. it's always fun when you can beat a few people with a 4wd..

I made the runs in 2wd, I was afraid what would happen to the transfer case if I ran it in 4wd

I think if I can figure out why it bogged off the line, I could shave another tenth or two off my time. Also the cage springs are not the best setup for drag racing, it really made it a buckin bronco off the line, and the 1-2 shift. I really need to install some kind of traction bar%)

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
every tenth you knock off of the 60' time will equal roughly 2 tenths knocked off at the end

My first run I did a 2.228 60 foot time, so thats a half a tenth, and picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile

I out 60 foot a supercharged Gen1 Lightning, and a Fox body 5.0 liter Mustang. If the bronco wasn't quite as much as a brick aerodynamiclly, or with slightlly taller 2nd or 3rd gears, I might have beet those two vehicals. You can tell by my time slip I was pretty close up till the 1/8 mile mark, but from there on the other vehical had a big advantage.

bronco60-niner

Loc.
leavenworth,ks
I've always wanted to take mine to the track and run it. It's funny when some of the hondas or other fartcans around here come running through traffic and I take off with them as they are coming by...the look on their face watching a bronco on 38's pull away from them is priceless. ;D

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Wow knocking 1.1 sec. is like loosing 1100 lbs. You really have to make some horsepower to gain that much in your speed.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Wow knocking 1.1 sec. is like loosing 1100 lbs. You really have to make some horsepower to gain that much in your speed.

Well last year I was having so pretty major carb problems. I am sure you have seen the posts on the defective Holley Truck Avengers. I was one of the first to send my back to Holley, and thats when they figured out what was wrong with them. Since I got the carb back, it has been like a whole new truck. So most of my gain, is just because my carb works right now.

I've always wanted to take mine to the track and run it. It's funny when some of the hondas or other fartcans around here come running through traffic and I take off with them as they are coming by...the look on their face watching a bronco on 38's pull away from them is priceless. ;D

Well if you are running 38's you must have at least a 5.5 suspension lift. Even with my 3.5 inch Cage springs, it was all over the place when I got on it that hard. The reas squated way down, and the front end must have raised up close to a foot. When I shifted into 2nd gear the rear squated down hard again. These flexy springs are fine on the street, and off road, but at a drag strip they will get your attention in a big way.%)

bronco60-niner

Loc.
leavenworth,ks
Well if you are running 38's you must have at least a 5.5 suspension lift. Even with my 3.5 inch Cage springs, it was all over the place when I got on it that hard. The reas squated way down, and the front end must have raised up close to a foot. When I shifted into 2nd gear the rear squated down hard again. These flexy springs are fine on the street, and off road, but at a drag strip they will get your attention in a big way.%)

I'm running 4.5" BC springs all the way around, 2" body lift and Cage shocks. The front does raise up pretty good but it stays straight. I've never had it wander under hard acceleration. It has a little body roll around sharp corners but thats about it.