• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Took the Bronco down the drag strip tonight

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
My friend who has a 67 Olds 442 has been after me for a little while to go to the darag strip and teach him how to race his car. He calls me up this afternoon and asks me if I want to go to the track tonight, since I was such a nice day I said lets do it.

It is to bad I filled all 3 tanks up the other day, but I had used some of it yesterday, and since the track is a hour or so away I was able to burn a little more of it off. Though I still had close if not 30 gallons still on board( I can hold 43)

So I get up to the track, and rode in the passenger seat of my friends Olds the first run, to show him what to do. He did good, so now it is time for me to see what the Bronco will do

1st run
I took it a little easy launching it off the line, but it bogged pretty good. I ran a 16.99@78.79MPH

2nd run
I launched at a higher rpm, it still boged, but not as bad. I ran a 16.81@80.04MPH

Since I just installed the Truck Avenger the other day, after getting it back from holley, and really havn't dialed it in. I decided to adjust the accewlerator pump on it, to get rid of the bog.

3rd run
the bog is allmost completlly gone, and it launched much better this time. I ran a 16.60@81.74mph

All in all I was pretty happy, If I could have ran with 25 less gallons of fuel, taken off my spare, the High lift jack, and taken out the 20 pounds of tools I had in it, I am sure I could have run better, maybee a 16.3 or so.

Maybee if I launched at a higher rpm, (the highest I launched was 2700rpms) or held each gear a little longer(shifted at 5 grand every time) I maybee could even knock another tenth or so off these times as well. So with a little more tweeking of my timing, tweeking of the carb, less weight, and better driving I can see very low 16's or maybee a high 15 1/4 mile run

So not to bad for a big brick with 35 inch tires.While I wasn't the fastest by a mile, I was faster than a lot of cars that ran tonight. A few people came up to me after the 16.60 run, and said they were amaized how fast my truck went.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Thats Cool. You need to strip all that weight out of it and then Smoke your Buddys 442. How good did it do?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Flash69 said:
Thats Cool. You need to strip all that weight out of it and then Smoke your Buddys 442. How good did it do?

My friends 442 ran mid 15's

The last run a ran a Honda S2000 and and it ran a 15.58
He and I talked while we waited for the gat to open, and after that run he was shocked I stayed so close to him I actually kicked his ass on the tree, and he oly beet me by about 2 car lengths

Oh one thing if I ever take the truck drag racing again, I would need some kind of traction bar or bars. The cage springs while good for daily driving and for off road, are not great for speed shifting at 5000 rpms. Durring the first to second, and the second to 3rd shift, it got a little squirlly.

Last edited:

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
DonsBolt said:
My friends 442 ran mid 15's

The last run a ran a Honda S2000 and and it ran a 15.58
He and I talked while we waited for the gat to open, and after that run he was shocked I stayed so close to him I actually kicked his ass on the tree, and he oly beet me by about 2 car lengths
Get all that weight out of and you can beat him if you was that close. Man you would have some Braggin rights. That would be Fun. He would feel like a spanked Puppy.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Nice runs Don! I'll bet if you get the weight out of the back those springs would feel even more squirrely. Think of how much more flexing they would do. you didn't happen to put it on the scales did you?

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
ken75ranger said:
Nice runs Don! I'll bet if you get the weight out of the back those springs would feel even more squirrely. Think of how much more flexing they would do. you didn't happen to put it on the scales did you?

No, the scales were not open last

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Cavalry said:
where did you run.. lebanon ny by chance?

No
Ran at New England Dragway

After thinking about it a little bit, I made some little brackets to stiffen up the rear springs. It is a old drag racing trick, where you make tow metal plates, one above and one below the spring. Then you drill a hole on each side of the plate, and clamp the front 3 leafs together.

I did a few little simulated blasts today, and it really stabalied the rear end. That might help it launch a little better.

rednck21

nice numbers;) an S2000 only ran in the mid 15's?? i thought they would be faster than that...

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Went to the track to hang out with some friends tonight, since it was so slow my friend who runs the starting line let me make one free pass.

Since I ran last year I have my carb dialed in a lot better, abd also have a better spacer under the carb. Also with the little brackets I made for the leaf springs, it didn't get all squirlly on the first to 2nd shift. I wish I could have got one more pass, as I messed the 2nd to 3rd shift just a little bit.

But even still I knocked 3 tenths off what I ran last year. The NV3550 worked great, but the lower first gear isn't the greatest for drag racing.

My new best is 16.308@83.27mph

I am running a little les timing, and put some stiffer springs in the distributor compaired to what I was running last year. So if I bump the timing back up to where it was, and don't screw up the 2nd to 3rd shift, it might have a lower 16 second run or maybee a very high 15 as I still had at least 30 gallons of fuel in the truck.

;D

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Thanks
I am sure the 45 degree weather helped a little bit, but all that fuel, gas, big spare, abd a high lift jack. So all in all pretty good

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
I cant find it now but have seen a video online of an EB spanking the crap out of a honda ran a sub 14 second at about 110mph if I can find the vid I'll post it

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
DonsBolt
Since I just installed the Truck Avenger the other day, after getting it back from holley, and really havn't dialed it in. I decided to adjust the accewlerator pump on it, to get rid of the bog.
How far did you adjust the accelerator nut/adjuster to get rid of the BOG-mine has that same little issue.Thanks,Chuck

Scrapper_MV

It is to bad I filled all 3 tanks up the other day, but I had used some of it yesterday, and since the track is a hour or so away I was able to burn a little more of it off. Though I still had close if not 30 gallons still on board( I can hold 43)

This is what impressed me! You can afford to buy 43 gallons of fuel at once! Man, did you have to take out a second on the house or what?

Sorry for the feeble attempt at humor, I'm just a little soar assed right now because we are paying $3.45 a gallon for premium where I live! :mad:

Congrats on the 16.30 run, thats very fast for a Bronco, I think mine might do 26.30!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
DonsBolt
How far did you adjust the accelerator nut/adjuster to get rid of the BOG-mine has that same little issue.Thanks,Chuck

Well no two engines are the same, so it all depends. Also it may not be a carb problem, it could be timing, the advance curve in your distributor.

As for the accelerator pump, start with say 1 turn, and see how that works, if it still needs more go in 1/4 to 1/2 turn incriments.

What distributor are you running, whats your timing set at?? If you can bump the timing up a little without getting any pinging might help the slight bog.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I want to see that run, let me know next time you're going up

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
I dont know my timing yet, just been slowely bumping it up some---figured if it start pinging, then back it down. Its a cheap HEI, seems to work pretty good. I always get a bog right after driving it, then stopping,cranking it up and hit the gas(bog)...it doesnt do it everytine I hit the gas though. I will try those sets and get back to ya. Thanks for the reply,Chuck....(sorry for the hijack)