• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tool box recommendations? Want one behind rear bench!!!

agduckhunter

OK, here's the deal: I keep a tool kit, extra oil, ps & pb fluid, tranny fluid, bottle jack & 4-way tire tool in the Bronco at all times. Much of it fits in a 5-gallon bucket, but I honestly don't like having a bunch of loose tools & heavy items out in the open for theft AND it's a safety issue (projectiles) in the event of a wreck. I REALLY want to mount a toolbox behind the rear seat and I've got roughly 48" x 10" to work with. Does anyone have a recommendation for a locking box in that size range (could be a little smaller, too) that ain't gonna break the bank?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I bought a generic plastic tool box from lowes several years ago it's roughly as wide as the back seat and a few inches lower than the tail gate. I did have to move my back seat forward about 2" for the box to fit, but it holds all of my extra crap in it. It's nothing fancy but it works. I think I paid maybe $40-50 for it?

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Thanks.....probably looking for a metal box, though. I don't have a top & I want something that's at least somewhat secure.

Tahoedawg

Loc.
Eugene
OK...not sure if its big enough for what yo have but I carry the Jerry can tool box. It looks great and fits a lot of my tools that I carry.

OP
OP
agduckhunter

agduckhunter

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Sstclair on here has a cool set up.

He has some sort of aluminum truck tool box back there.

He mounted it on its side so the lid was up against the tailgate. Lid opened up.

This makes it a little tougher to get to (added security?) but what I really liked is that you could now put stuff on top of it (coolers, etc) and not have to move that stuff to access the contents of the tool box.

Works really great when you out camping or on the trail for the week end.

bstein

I really looked at a fixed box and went with plastic individual boxes.
Our wagon has the split fold and tumble rear seat.
For me the individuals are best as spare parts, tools,recovery are in there own boxes and as the rear is generally tumbled I can have the boxes as far forward as possible so I still have some room. I didnt want to have to climb over a fixed box ( but thats me ) I ratchet strap the boxes in the back for in cab security but its not theft proof.
We run two EB's so I can load to which ever truck. It always seems @ least for me what ever I need is at the bottom of a box and Im always digging to the bottom to find what I need.
It just works for us...

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's perfect....just went and looked at it at harbor freight and it's a perfect fit. I can still get to the latch for the fold and tumble seat, too. Unfortunately, the only one left was the display and the keys were missing. I'll be ordering one, for sure.

That's what I have as well, fits perfect. I put some anchor points on each side and tie my cooler down on top of it.

sstclair

Sstclair on here has a cool set up.
Here's my setup Rox Crusher was talking about. It was tough to find a box that fit this well. I found it at Autozone online. I've loved it. I added the aluminum angle to make it easy to keep stuff on top too. It beats the hell out of the old milk crates I used to use and take reasonable advantage of the space.
-Steve

Attachments

• tool box 1.jpg
    tool box 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 162
  • tool box 2.jpg
    tool box 2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 168

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Compared the HF trailer box $79.00 (http://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch-steel-trailer-tongue-box-66244.html)
to a Contico box $39.00 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Contico-SUV-Storage-Bin-Black/24689299) .

They are both similar in dimension and measure nearly the same internally.

Cons:
HF box is tapered on sides which makes fitting some items a bit cumbersome.
HF box is $80.
Contico has two plastic tabs for additional locking ability but they must be cut off to allow the tailgate to close fully.
Contico is plastic so not as secure.

I am going with the Contico for the price. At $39, it is hard to justify the metal alternative.

mu8yzypu.jpg