• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TOOLS...............

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
Mine are mix of several different brands I've got at farm sales over the years. I find it nice to have several of the most common size wrenches as you often need one for the bolt and another for the nut, that kind of thing. I think the last new ones I bought were Stanley Tools wrenches and I like them.

I've also used Harbor Freight for stuff that I don't intend to use all the time (as was mentioned).

Ya can't have too many tools. Look for bargains or sales, auctions, things like that, even if you have a nice complete set at home. I have a knack for loosing them or the one I need is on the other tractor, miles away.

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
I busted my knuckles taking a rusted 30 year old Bronco apart til I got a good air compressor and impact wrench and socket set.Man what a difference.It also works great with an air chisel to tear out rusted floor panels.Air tools are pretty cheap compared to some of the better grade hand tools.

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
You should be able to get a good compressor for about 300 bucks, shop around, you may be able to get a great used one. The bulk of my tools are Husky brand (home depot I think) they have a lifetime warranty and I have loved them. They are just as good as craftsman, so far, and can be gotten cheaper, sometimes. Again shop around, if all you can afford is one wrench get a 1/2 you can take a whole bronco apart with it.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
It's been said plenty, but, buy the Sears when you buy new. Watch the sales that they run. I am down there 6 or 7 times a year getting something for half price.

I hit yard sales really hard for about 3 years. My shop compressor, shop vac, several name brand wrenches, plus lots of unique tools have been bought for little of nothing. Watch the local ads for the ones that have tools. You will be surprised on what people will be selling. I hit one and a there was a snap on roller setting there full of tools. It must of been 10 cents on the dollar. I couldn't scrape up the dollars and missed it. Just be ready when you get there.

I bought my MAC roller from a young man that needed $500 dollars for a used soloflex. He got his soloflex, I got my tool box.

OP
OP
N

nickmyron

Loc.
Tigard, OR
Now you guys got me ta wanting a air compressor :eek:

So when i go about looking for one what should i be looking for (as far as PSI, gal., motor, verticle vs. horizontal.........etc)

Nick~

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=nickmyron link=board=5;threadid=20530;start=15#msg158257 date=1059454346]

So when i go about looking for one what should i be looking for (as far as PSI, gal., motor, verticle vs. horizontal.........etc)

Nick~
[/quote]

Again.....get the biggest you can afford. Most air tools use alot of air. At the least 5hp/ 30gal tank min. I dont like the newer oiless ones, very noisy.

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
With the hand tools I have mostly Craftsman with some Kobalt and Husky. I think you should stay with these brands, but I would also get a few cheap tools you do not care about. I have several screw drivers and wrenches for prying and trying to get rusty screws loose with a BHF. ;D Speaking of that GET A BFH. This is a must if your horse is like mine!

I do not know about the air compressor I am looking for one myself.

KST1

I've found the Stanley wrenches to be pretty nice for the price. They sell them at Walmart.

Otherwise, I usually go with Craftsman. Although, I think their 3/8" ratchets are crap. They replace them for free but they're real knuckle busters.

I've also got a few fleamarket cheapy tools. Not bad if you know how you're gonna use them.

-D

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Ok some people may think I am crazy, but for the price go to Home Depot and buy the 337 piece set. Its around $350. I started working for a CAT dealer 6 years ago, fresh out of the military and was BROKE. I bought this set, and intended to buy a new set of Craftsman later. The only problem is that, with the exception of one screwdriver used as a chisel, I have NEVER broke a socket wrench or any of the Husky tools! I do not like the wrenches,too short and fat, but with a combination wrench set from Craftsman, I never really needed to buy a new set. The set comes with scredrivers, impact sockets, standard, metric, torx, allen wrenches, allen wrench socket. Also for a roll around tool box go to Sam's and look. I have a box I paid $225 for, top and bottom box, and it would hold most of my tools. Although I don't use it. All my tools are on my service truck. With that basic set you should be able to get started good, and see what you need later. One more thing about Husky tools, they are guaranteed forever as well and won't give as much of a hassle.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=20530;start=15#msg158279 date=1059469484]
[quote author=nickmyron link=board=5;threadid=20530;start=15#msg158257 date=1059454346]

Nick~
[/quote]

Again.....get the biggest you can afford. Most air tools use alot of air. At the least 5hp/ 30gal tank min. I dont like the newer oiless ones, very noisy.
[/quote]

Yes, definitely stay away from the "oilless" compressors. Try to get one that has an electric motor with a belt connecting it to the compressor unit. They are MUCH quieter.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I usually look for a sale on tools ! I have a very large tool box that can't be moved from it's location , so it requires alot of walking back and forth to get the tool I need . I have several smaller (portable) tool boxes that I can keep close by and I can even carry them in the back of my truck or bronco and can be very accomodating if placed at the end of the tailgate for easier access (less bending over to grab the particular tool I need) There are many brands of tools out there and everyone has their reason for choosing "their" brand ... but I prefer ..... Busch Light and can usually buy a twelve pack for less than 9 bucks ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nuke

I have heard that Husky and/or Kobolt used to make Craftsman. Sears outsources the manufactoring of the tools. Husky and Kobalt have lifetime warrenties and most people would aggree they are the same quality if not better then Craftsman. That being said, I like the store selection at sears better--much better suited for automotive tools. Home Depot and Lowes are home inprovement places and don't have things like compression gauges. Also, I think it more likely for Sears to exist in 50 yrs as opposed to the others. Finally, IMHO, air compressers are a luxery not a must for the shadetree mechanic.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
My philosophy is that tools should last forever ... something you can pass on to your children. That said, it is best to only pay once for quality. While Snap-on is the best available, personal use does not justify the cost. Go with Craftsman ... and buy the Professional Grade for the long run. Great balance between value and quality ... and a company that stands behind their product ... and will be around for generations to come.

Asia based tools are fine for one-off jobs where repeated or frequentuse is not required. For mainstream tools (Wrenches, Ratchets, Sockets, Screwdrivers ... ) NEVER buy Asian tools. It's bad enougn the tool breaks, but when they destroy components, that's unacceptable ... and that assumes you did not get injured in the process.

WIHA makes excellent screwdrivers ... better than Snap-on at good pricing. Check for specials on their web site. For economy, buy screwdrivers with replaceable bits. This way you can have any combination without repurchasing the handle and shank. I have 3 lengths and tons of bits. Plus when the bits wear, they are cheap to replace.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Holy cow,

Tools accumulate over the years. Being an electrician, a lot of my tools are Klein, lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Proto makes some really nice tools, WW Grainger carries them (like a toy store for big kids, industrial parts, tools, and equipment). Stanley tools are OK, that is what I keep in the Bronco, that way if I lost it, I don't cry about it (they are much more affordable than others...) Craftsman makes up the bulk of my auto mechanicing (<-- is that a word?) tools, they have served me well for most of my life, and some are handed down to me from my grandfather and my dad. Snap-on is good stuff, as is Mac, Matco, Cornwell, and lots of others. Get the best stuff you can afford, make absolutely sure it has a lifetime warranty, nothing else is worth having.

Air tools are a luxury, but, I won't trade mine for anything. Get some as soon as you can afford them. Any of the major tool manufacturers make them, and the quality is there. Cheaper units that you get at a home improvement store are OK, and will probably work just fine for the weekend mechanic, just make SURE you keep them oiled, the seals dry out, and they are completely worthless. Compressors are darn nice to have, I use mine all the time, for all kinds of stuff, do some research, and get the biggest one you can (if space is at a premium, look at the vertical units, same motor and tank, just in an upright configuration, instead of horizontal, very cool)
Setting a budget to work within is difficult, I can sympathize, when I bought my Bronco, I had a simple tool kit from my early bicycle repair days, and I only earned $6 an hour, so the accumulation of tools has been ongoing and slow.
My next big tool purchase is a chest, I had an inexpensive Craftsman, but after I loaded it up, I couldn't open the drawers without a lot of wrasslin', so I ditched it before I took after it with a BFH. Saving up for a quality Industrial grade unit with ball bearing sliders and heavier guage sheet metal.

I wish you luck, be creative where you look for tools, I have actually found some pretty decent ones laying on the side of the road ;).

boatbldr

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
You can also find decent quality smaller sets of tools at Sam's for a good price, basically all-in-one packs of air tools, screwdrivers, wrenches and so on. Good starter sets for stuff like that.

Newt

For all the work you have planned you need air tools. Buy a verticle compressor (takes up less floor space), an impact wrench & ratchet. If you don't have them. You wouldn't believe how much time they save on disassembly & assembly. Some of the specialty tools you might only use once or in a blue moon. The auto parts rent/loan them.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I got to tell you, the best tool I have is a air hammer/chisel with a screw knocker.....learned about it here. That thing is the best for getting out rusted screws.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
[quote author=jeepster Nick~

I just bought a 5hp/30gal. 2-STAGEoilless craftsman profesonal compressor and apsolutely love it. !75 psi and it takes no time at all to get back up to capasity even when going to town with a air hammer plus it's very quite also. It's as quite as a belt driven one. I also got a great deal on it. It was on sale for about $400 and talk one of there salesmen into giving me an aditional 10% and threw in a nice professional air rachet ($99). The next day it was on sale at about $350, so I went in and the guy gave me the difference and I still got to keep the wratchet and the 10% form the beginning. Ended up about $299.