• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tools

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
I got pretty much the same craftsman set for christmas when I was in college. Never thought i'd get that much use from it. There is no substitute for good tools that don't break after a couple of uses.

Case in point.. I put a lift on a buddy's Heep a few weeks ago "He'll learn someday!!"... But those damn things are put together with torx nuts. Grabbed some el-cheapo bits from Autozone and busted the crap out of 2 immediately. Grabbed a set from Sears, cost 20 bucks more than the others for a set of 7 or so.. NONE of them stripped or bent. And if they did! I can just swap them out :)

Knowing how badly bronco's tend to rust, just save some cash and get a set you can count on. That and when there's nothing to do on the bronco you can take a case of beer and polish them ;D Not that i'd ever do such a thing.. Just need to get away from the wife for a while sometimes!!

probaja

Loc.
Mesa AZ
As stated above - for starting out and going new, you can't beat the price and quality of craftsman at sears. For used watch for estate sales, as Ive done really well there - and garage sales, as sometimes people are relocating to an apt. and have no where to store tools.....the bargains are out there, but always go for quality first.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Get all the Craftsman for free that you can. I have a buddy that used to find broken Craftsman tools lying on the side of the street which he'd pick up and get replaced with new ones at Sears. Kind of hit and miss, but ... hey, they were free!

KST1

Personally, if I were just starting out, I would have to look closely at these.
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_...BV_EngineID=ccddadcljfififfcfkfcfkjdgoodflh.0

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/cata...8:129230&redirect_dept=0&redirect_query=tools

I've got a buddy that has been buying nothing but the new Stanleys. Hasn't broke one yet, and he's pretty hard on tools. If they do break, Walmart will refund/replace them.

I also had a buddy that held a tool sale and sold all of his mismatched misc. tools. Got a couple of grand out of it. Then went to Sears with that money and some extra from a personal loan and bought one of the big dog roll around tool boxes filled with mechanics tools. Not sure if they even carry these anymore.
Sure was a nice set.

I'm not big on taking loans, but I see tools as an investment. You might consider talking to your banker or a very low interest credit card and hitting the stores.

-D

OP
OP
V

vexris

Well thanks for all the great replies every one I think I will go down to the local sears and pick me up a set there in july, The reason being july is i get a third paycheck then from my main job and ill have a month or more under my belt from my second job.

Thank god im single, no kids and no wife because i get to spend all my cash on myself so that what im working on now is tools then i will start to save for my bronco.

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
lonesouth said:
Problem i'm know seeing is that cabinets and chests cost more than the tools i would put in them, but the tools are running amock in my garage without one...

If the tools are going to stay in your garage I would spend money on socket and wrench holders and some peg board. make sure to keep the doors shut so your new tools do not gro legs. ;-) If you do get a tool box I would get some sort of socket and wrench organizers. They make life very nice when looking for a tool. ;D Just think about it how many time have you been looking for a socket and picked up the same one 3 times?:eek:

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
I work on generators and heavy machinery daily, and my first set out of the Air Force was the big set at Home Depot. I have NEVER broken a wrench or socket yet. I am hard on them too, I NEVER just use my impact sockets, I will use a chrome socket in a second on an impact if that is the closest one. For 300 bucks that is a great set, but those sears sets are great. Alot cheaper than when I was looking. Now I have almost every brand on my truck from Cornwell(Crappy tool truck), Craftsman, stanley, Snapon, and MAtco. Just get good stuff and you will never regret it!

4x4x289

I recommend that you secure your investment by engraving your tools, painting them, marking them, or whatever, at least the common ones. If your neighbors are like mine, you'll be glad you did. I have collected lots of tools over the years. Neighbors know this. They often "try" me first when they need to borrow one. I never say no. It gets out of hand sometimes.