• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top to top of door frame spacing?

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
What is the proper gap between the top of the window frame and the bottom of the hard top? Is the top of windshield flush with the top of the door frame? Background: Bronco Design tub with metal windshield frame and '68 doors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even from the factory I'd say that gap was anywhere from 1/8" at best to 3/8" at worst. I've seen bigger gaps than that even, but don't know if other mods were done, or the tub or top were tweaked, or it just happened to be that way.
Top of the windshield flush? Hmm, haven't looked lately but it seems to me that the windshield frame is just above the door top.

Someone should have a good close-up for you.
Back to the top for someone with a good pic.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, pretty much.
A lot of us got lucky and our bodies were straight and gaps tight-ish when the trucks (and us!) were younger.
Some things loosen up with age and replacement parts. 😁

Dne007

Contributor
I've learned a great deal (after the work of course), critical measurements when replacing a lot of metal, results in not so great fitting doors/ panels/ lines. If I could go back in time, it would start with the installation of the drivers side A pillar. I found that the aftermarket A pillar and probably many other sheet metal items are a "tad" off. Fortunately, give a little here, take a little there, shift the hard top forward, back, etc, same for door adjustments(up, down, in, out, etc). The saving grace is the door seals, which when glued into place can be glued to maximize the clearance issues. I still may play with door adjustments. Probably someone out there makes wider or thicker door seals.

My drivers top of the door to the hard top is about 3/8 and the passenger side more like a 1/4". I had replaced the hard top, the drivers door(complete), door skin on the passenger(wish I had bought a door!)

I hope this helped a little;)
dne' ;)

Attachments

• bronco almost completea.jpg
    bronco almost completea.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Bronco hard top new glassb.jpg
    Bronco hard top new glassb.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Bronco wiper assemblyb.jpg
    Bronco wiper assemblyb.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Bronco hard top linesa.PNG
    Bronco hard top linesa.PNG
    823.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Bronco hard top lines.PNG
    Bronco hard top lines.PNG
    707.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
IFLYHOOKS

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
Looking at your pictures: Is the top of the windshield frame, without the seal, level with the top of the door windshield frame? It appears to be and the windshield seal provides the gap between the hard top and door frame.