• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Topic: Too many problems... not enough $$$ to go around...

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
On my way to work this morning... I noticed my steering is becomming more and more wobbly. My Bronco wanted to go wherever it wanted to go. Made me have to use two hands on the steering wheel just to keep it in the lane I wanted it to be in. Previously... it was pretty lose but, I could easily manage it with one hand. What gives?

My thoughts are... New poly bushings for my track bar plus a stonecrusher tie-rod and drag link setup and a new steering stabelizer.

On top of this problem... I found a leak on my rear gas tank from my sending unit. Is there an easy way to cure this leak? I don't have the funds to do both projects but, they are both equally important as my house smells like fuel. I also have a fuel delivery problem that I'm working on and a new large capacity gas tank with vent and return lines would definitely help me eliminate my spare tank/bomb under my drivers seat. Which will also give me the room I need to mount my electronic fuel pump to help me cure my fuel delivery problem.

ARRRRGH!!!

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Speaking of... Here's a few wrenches to throw into my bronco setup...

Next weekend, I plan to setup my Duffs power disk brakes.

I'm also looking for the largest capacity fuel tank I can find. My Bronco sits up on a 3" BL so I have extra room up there for my tank.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A sending unit seal is only a couple of $$ as for your new wandering problem check tire pressure one could be off also higher or lower tire pressure can change the way it handles also before I put a new steering box on mine. I had new tires put on it was a white knuckle ride before I pulled over and found out the tire shop had 50 lbs of air in each tire I deflated to 30 and the drive was way better. You may also want to recheck your toe in. that can cause it also.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Order a complete bushing kit for the front end. Not terribly pricey, and you can install it all in an afternoon.

For the tank, look at dropping the tank, and you might only have to replace the o-ring at the sending unit. It has to be REALLY clean or else it won't seal. You may even get away with just cleaning it.

For a tank that'll go up as high as possible, look to BC. His is the cleverest mounting system to get it up as high as possible.

If your brakes are working now, hold off on the discs until you get the safety issues sorted out. Performance comes later. They're not going anywhere...

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I had the same problem PS getting sloppy very quickly found the problem was PS box bolts where loose and a small crack on the fram close to mounting box might want to check just incase

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
For the steering being loose, some of the play could be from loose fasteners. Check the rag joint too. The bolts holding the steering box to the frame started to come loose on my truck, steering was much better after they were tightened.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Sounds like these guys are pointing you in the direction I would. With mine, the drag-link joint at the tie-rod was shot. And before that my steering box was loose on the frame. You might consider welding some plate on either side of your frame and re-drill to strengthen that area. Also I might have a Poly trac-bar bushing if you are interested. I'll have to look. PM me if you are interested. I also agree that BC has the best large tank for your EB. They are not cheap, but are still the best deal out there IMO.

J.D.

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
OK... For the fuel problem, if I can pull the sending unit, clean it and re-seal it, should I use a silicoln gasket or something when I put it back on?

I'll check BC out for their fuel tank setup. I bought one from a buddy for $50.00 but, I haven't seen it yet. If only I could get it from him soon.

Now, for my steering. I just installed a newer (better) PS Box. The PO had drilled 2 holes for some Toyota type PS box he had on the Bronco. But, when I had it off, I didn't notice any cracks in the frame. But, I will re-check my bolts to make sure they are still tight.

The column has a brand new rag joint in it. I'll double check it to make sure it's all tight as well.

The only thing I know I need is my poly bushings. (74BroncoCO, when will you know if you have them? Are they new? How much you want for them? I'm in Albuquerque NM. Guessing your in Colorado so I'm just south of you.) The only reason I mentioned my Power Disk Brakes is because I don't want to spend a ton of $$$ getting my steering geometry all changed only to have to buy all new parts with my new knuckles etc. when I get my Disk Brakes installed. Boy oh boy... what a world of fun... ;D ;D ;D

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Grunt1058 said:
OK... For the fuel problem, if I can pull the sending unit, clean it and re-seal it, should I use a silicoln gasket or something when I put it back on?

no sealant necessary

Just make sure that it's still pliable. If it needs to be replaced, your local auto supply or hardware will likely have one. If not, I'm pretty sure that one of the vendors will have one.

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Well... I hope my local supplier will have one. I'd hate to leave my Bronco down for another week or so waiting for parts from a vendor.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont use silicone on the sending unit it will find its way into your fuel system and you'll be chaseing it down for a long time.

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
Grunt1058 said:

IF you decide to reuse the gasket when you pull the sending unit, the seal is a neoprene gasket. It looks like an 0-ring but is rectangular instead of round. These seals will swell when exposed to gasoline and when it pops out it will seem like it's way to big to get back in there... it is and you won't be able to immediately. Just let it sit in the fresh air until it shrinks back down and drops in. This will also apply if you get a new one, and for some reason it does not seal the first time and has to bedisassembled and cleaned... you will have to let the gasket air out and shrink. Kind of a pita, the first time I did this I went through 4 gaskets until I realized that they were shrinking back down and could be used again.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
one of the many leaks my eb had in the gas tabk was that the tube that the gas line attached to was cracked where it met the base of the sending unit. i was able to soldier it. just be carefull that there is no fuel anywhere in it.

OP
OP
Grunt1058

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I think I figured out my steering problem...

Last thing that changed was I went 4 wheeling. Next day.. my steering is weird... I thought I may have broken something or something may have come loose. Well, on my way to work this AM, I pulled over on the freeway under a bridge to check my hubs... they were still locked. I unlocked them and my steering problems went away.

I feel like such a dork. Since this was my first time wheeling in my Broncos since I parted out my Jeep. I'm not used to having to lock/unlock my hubs anymore. I guess I better get used to it again. ;D ;D ;D