• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing without trailer?

Buckin'77

Loc.
College Grove
Could I tow my 77 without a trailer. If I can find one of those tongue deals that attaches to the frame or front end somehow (suggestions welcome) and then right on the ball hitch. I have the twin stick 4WD control where I can disengage the front and rear so it is free-wheeling. I am trying to avoid the 350.00 one way charge from uhaul for a car hauler. I will be going about 350 miles.

Any advice will be appreciated, Rick

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Yes, you can flat tow just fine. Unlock the front hubs, put the t-case in neutral and disconnect the rear driveshaft. Don't lock the steering wheel. Remember while towing that you have a heavy vehicle behind you that's pushing hard every time you put on the brakes and you should be fine.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Yes, you can flat tow just fine. Unlock the front hubs, put the t-case in neutral and disconnect the rear driveshaft. Don't lock the steering wheel. Remember while towing that you have a heavy vehicle behind you that's pushing hard every time you put on the brakes and you should be fine.

X2 you will have to disconnect the drive line because the t-case doesn't get oiled by the rear. You can also use a tow dolly. I even have one for sale;D

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Don't forget the lights. Either magnetic stick-on lights or wire up the taillights. You want the tow vehicle to be heavier than the towed vehicle. The tow bar should be as level as possible.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
X2 you will have to disconnect the drive line because the t-case doesn't get oiled by the rear. You can also use a tow dolly.

I had my Bronco towed a short distance (in town) and the truck driver put the dollies on and charged me extra for it. Are dollies required even for short towing?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I had my Bronco towed a short distance (in town) and the truck driver put the dollies on and charged me extra for it. Are dollies required even for short towing?

No. If I was going to flat tow mine a short distance in town I wouldn't even disconnect the rear driveshaft.

Baja71

Bronco Guru

Known as "CYA" and making a few extra bones while yer at it!

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Known as "CYA" and making a few extra bones while yer at it!

It was a large towing company that we use when our company trucks break down and for hauling heavy equipment. I charged the tow to the company and this dirt bag tells me it's $20 for the dolly but if I pay cash for that part he would do it for $10. Screwed me out of $10 and his company out of $20. Oh well.. learn something new every day.

frdbronco73

I went a little ways with mine. no problems stayed right behind me. one of my friends was throwing away a tow bar for an explorer. i made a couple brackets and i was on my way.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I was just wondering that if a tow dolly is used, does the rear driveshaft need to be disconnected? The rear wheels are on the ground which would make the rear output turn but are the front wheels elevated enough to bathe the bearing in oil?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I was just wondering that if a tow dolly is used, does the rear driveshaft need to be disconnected? The rear wheels are on the ground which would make the rear output turn but are the front wheels elevated enough to bathe the bearing in oil?

Doesn't matter if the fronts are on or off the ground. You should disconnect the rear DS if towing for any kind of distance. When I used to flat tow mine I disconnected it at the rear axle and tied it up underneath. Only takes a couple of minutes to do that and a couple of minutes to connect it when you get where you're going.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Thanks Guys. I will be hauling it with a Chevy 2500HD so I think it outweighs the Bronco.

#1 SHAME on you for make'n the poor bronco be behind such a lesser vehicle and #2 that cheby was designed for stopping ITSELF, not itself and a truck behind it!

Not to say it can not stop BUT you'll need to plan ahead more than with JUST the truck!... inclines are NOT your friend! ...nor is tailgating a wise choice.

JUST A SUGESTION, I rented a U-haul car carrier trailor, the 1 where all 4 wheels are off the ground. I went 1 way with it empty (IE-made a round trip NOT 1 way) and it was only like $50.00. I only had it for 24 hrs, BUT it is the BEST way to transport it for a few reasons, not the least of which the trailor has it's own brakes!!!! Not to mention, no wheels spin except for the trailors!!!

But I digress....

:cool:

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah

I learned the hard way a few years ago that you must disconnect the rear driveshaft. Put my bronc on a dolly, put everything in neutral and went about 100 miles before the t-case seized up, rear axle stopped turning and went into a skid. Fortunately I was able to pull off the road safetly. The t-case was so hot the carpet was smoldering. In short, undo the drive shaft. It takes 5 minutes.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
What I had done before I got my trailer was remove the drive shaft from the rear end and tape up the ujoints and tie it up to the frame.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
#1 SHAME on you for make'n the poor bronco be behind such a lesser vehicle and #2 that cheby was designed for stopping ITSELF, not itself and a truck behind it!

He can get around that by telling everyone that his Ch*bby is being pushed ;D

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
I flat tow mine every year to the trailheads without disconnecting the driveshaft-the farthest being about 150 miles. No problems yet, but some of the passes in Colorado are pretty steep and the rear output may be getting oiled occasionally. Any longer than that and I put it on a trailer. On long, flat highways I would cut this distance in half -if not more. The only problem I have encountered during flat towing is when making sharp turns, the front tires will sometimes not return to center and buckle (a caster thing). I use a small bungee from my steering wheel to brake pedal and make wide turns to combat this.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I learned the hard way a few years ago that you must disconnect the rear driveshaft. Put my bronc on a dolly, put everything in neutral and went about 100 miles before the t-case seized up, rear axle stopped turning and went into a skid. Fortunately I was able to pull off the road safetly. The t-case was so hot the carpet was smoldering. In short, undo the drive shaft. It takes 5 minutes.

Theoretically, if the front end was high enough so the rear bearing was bathed in oil, you wouldn't need to disconnect the driveshaft. From ztoolman44's response, it sounds like it doesn't get it high enough.