• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

towing without transmission

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

Long story short I am moving and need to have my rig flat bedded in between stages. The transmission is out but the engine is in. Will this cause any issues with the movement or damage the engine mounts since there is nothing holding it in from behind?

Thanks!

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Can you wedge a 2X4 between the engine and firewall? I'd put something between the engine and radiator as well.

Toddpole

Contributor
I would try to bolt something to the threaded transmission holes on the rear of the engine and attach that to the frame. Possibly a piece of angle iron or something similar.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Is your parking brake in working order? No problem during transit with straps but it could get away from someone when the straps come off. If parking brake is not working, you might purchase or fabricate some chocks for the tires just to ensure it behaves up in the air on a flatbed

DJs74

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, my 2 cents is that the frame metal motor mounts can bend or distort the wall where the peg of the rubber mount goes thru. Seen it happen once.

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
ok what about putting the old transmission back in to hold everything together? I am paying a mobile mechanic but if he doesn't torque bolts, hook up any lines or driveshafts he could possibly get in done in an hour or two. What if I decide to tow it to a different shop just up the street (like 2 miles away, literally). Can I get away with this then?