• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac bar bushing install

70 sport WA

Contributor
About installing trac bar bushings....I'm aware of some common issues by reading past threads, but can anyone tell me the following:

1. Do I need to jack the frame or axle?
2. Do I need to remove any other components, like tie rods, first?

Thanks ;D

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
No and no. Sometimes you will need someone inside to turn the wheel to line the one end of the track bar up so you can get the bolt back in

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The track bar can be removed with the vehicle on the ground. Sounds wrong, but you can do it.

Steering parts should be able to stay on, only need to come off if they get in the way.

If you do use jackstands under the frame, you may find the axle shifting off to the side with the bar removed. also don't tighten the bolts until the weight of the vehicle is on the axle so the bushings are not held in a bind.

When I change my bushings (yearly) I just pull it into the garage, remove the bar, change the bushings, put the bar back on the axle side, have someone turn the steering wheel a little to shift the frame as needed to align the frame side holes. Takes around 20 minutes if I am not being lazy.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the info. Wanted to make sure I do this right.

Dan

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i just remember,

having a hell of a time pressing those poly bushings back in. took patience and some lube as i recall (was many years ago though), but they did fit