• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac Lock for my Dana 44 a 'upgrade'?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I am in the process of lowering the gear ration to a 4:10 on my '76 Dana 44. I have found out that the stock carrier will not work and need a different one. I just do light trail riding with my Bronco so didn't want to go with a Detroit locker/air locker. So going the least expensive route with a Track Lock. Long story short will both of my front tires turn when one tire is freewheeling?? I have been told different things. Saying my stock Dana 44 is a 'peg leg'. Regardless of the answers I have already ordered the Track Lock and should be coming to me shortly. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You get different answers because there are different answers. Under some circumstances you will get good power transmission through both axles. Under other circumstances it will fall prey to the typical limited-slip limitations. That limitation is that they're not lockers with hard lockup, so can't always act like one.

So you get what you get, but you can also stack the deck in your favor and sometimes fool a limited-slip into transmitting more power to the axle with traction by applying the brakes and slowing down the spinning wheel and letting the clutches bind up a bit.

A limited-slip is not perfect (what is?) but that's why they are available in factory applications where they have to fit multiple roles (including safety on slippery hard surfaces with inexperienced vehicle owners, for example) so that Joe and Josey street-wheeler don't kill everybody on the road because they think 4wd will get them out of trouble on ice.
It's why most factories have never offered a full locker, and only in recent years have you seen selectable lockers as an expensive option on Jeeps and Toyotas. And maybe some others.

It should be great for what you want it for.
And as you said, it was less expensive.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Saying my stock Dana 44 is a 'peg leg'.

Just a cute nickname/colloquialism for an open differential.
But do you know for sure yours is open and not already a limited-slip? Maybe a worn out one if 4wd was used a lot by previous owners.
Reason I ask is that while open was stock, limited-slips were options on Broncos in many years.

I'm guessing they already have the diff apart and that's why you're going through this issue.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, that there are versions of your soon-to-be gear ratio that are "thick gears" which are designed to bolt right to your existing carrier and work right out of the box.
So a "4-series" ring-n-pinion set can work on a "3-series" carrier.

You've already got the limited-slip coming I realize, but you should at least know that you have options The L.S. will be a nice upgrade, and now's the time to do it certainly. But it's not the only way to get the gear change.

Paul

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if i were going non-locker the eaton truetrac would be my choice

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'd leave the front open and put a locker in the rear. It's amazing where I've gone with a detroit in the rear and an open front. So much so I can't stand the lunch box locker in the front, but I'm too lazy to take it out.

EB70

Contributor
I have a trac loc in my 44. It is ok, and but works good until you really need it to, and then it does not lock. I did it because it was in my budget at the time.

By far, I prefer either a selectable or a Tru Trac in the front. I ran several of those and loved them. In fact, if it isn't a serious wheeler, that is my go to front.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The description I go with is an open diff sends power to the tire with the least resistance such as up in the air or on the patch of ice. The limited slip sends power to the tire with the most resistance. You're still a peg leg but at least it's the tire with traction. At some point I'm swapping out the front true track for an arb..

Nothing Special

I would strongly prefer anything (except a spool) over a TracLoc in a front axle (I'd prefer anything maybe even including a spool in the rear). If it's tight enough to help when you need it, it will be a bear to turn the wheels when you are stopped. And when you really need it it won't really help that much. Like needabronco said, I'd recommend returning the TracLoc before you've put the time and money into installing it and putting a locker in the rear. Or if you really want a front limited slip, go with a TrueTrac (I have an OX selectable locker in my front axle and really like that, but it's more money)

The description I go with is an open diff sends power to the tire with the least resistance such as up in the air or on the patch of ice. The limited slip sends power to the tire with the most resistance. You're still a peg leg but at least it's the tire with traction....

Not an accurate description of a limited slip. (An open diff always sends the same torque to both sides. If one side takes very little torque to spin the open diff will send the same very little torque to the other tire. If that's not enough to push the truck forward then it will not turn. Since power equals torque times speed the tire that's not turning has zero speed, zero times any torque is zero power, so it is accurate to say that an open diff sends all of the power to the tire with no traction.)

A TracLoc (or any other clutch type limited slip) works exactly like an open diff except that there's also a friction clutch between the two sides. So any time the tires want to turn different speeds you have that fixed drag between them. At it's best that fixed drag is enough torque to push the truck forward. But if that's not enough torque to move the truck then you still just sit there (but now wearing out the diff clutches while you do it).

And that fixed drag is always there. That means that when you go around a corner you need to overcome it. That's not a huge problem if you get good traction. But when on ice it can make the tires skid where an open diff or even an automatic locker would allow the tires to roll. And when you turn the steering wheel while sitting still one tire needs to roll forward while the other rolls backward. That also requires you to overcome the diffs friction.

So no, a TracLoc is not an upgrade over an open diff.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that there are versions of your soon-to-be gear ratio that are "thick gears" which are designed to bolt right to your existing carrier and work right out of the box.
So a "4-series" ring-n-pinion set can work on a "3-series" carrier.

You've already got the limited-slip coming I realize, but you should at least know that you have options The L.S. will be a nice upgrade, and now's the time to do it certainly. But it's not the only way to get the gear change.

Paul
Well when I ordered my new ring and pinion the salesman didn't tell me about this option OR that I would need a new carrier if I bought the 'skinny' ring and pinion. But its all water under the bridge now. No big wheeling for me and after everyone's opinion I think I will be fine with the Trac Lock. Its in my budget and if nothing else it will replace the 40 year old front chunk I have in there now. I do have a TruTrack in the rear and do love it but my Bronco is mainly on the highway so I think I will be ok. Thanks everybody.