• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

traction lock clutches new thicknesses????

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top.
Not sure if I still have a package of them, but if I come across them I can measure for you.
You comparing to what you have now to see if you even need them? Or checking something else?

Paul

OP
OP
65 mustang

65 mustang

yes just checking they don't look bad, but I don't know what to measure them too. thanks for looking. Scott

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still nobody? I bet the specification is out there just waiting to be googled! Not that I have any luck doing that, but some do.;)
I've even got Ford books around here that likely give the spec, but then I'd actually have to find all my missing stuff for that to be of any help.%)

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Still nobody?
Paul

Nope. And there won't be. There is no spec per se. Stack thickness is not how you set up or measure a TracLok. Shims, backlash, and breakaway torque are however. The best place to start would be with a factory service manual. Google would be the best way to find such an obscure document.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. And there won't be. There is no spec per se. Stack thickness is not how you set up or measure a TracLok. Shims, backlash, and breakaway torque are however. The best place to start would be with a factory service manual. Google would be the best way to find such an obscure document.

That. ^. And when you hear someone old-school like me refer to running a "shimmed TracLoc" back in the day, that meant we over-shimmed it when built to increase the torque bias "for a while"; It wears away pretty quickly under heavy use/abuse.:p

SHX669

Bronco Guru
That. ^. And when you hear someone old-school like me refer to running a "shimmed TracLoc" back in the day, that meant we over-shimmed it when built to increase the torque bias "for a while"; It wears away pretty quickly under heavy use/abuse.:p
We had a local 4x4 shop who used to add the xtra shims ; locked up great for a while.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When this was done and "after awhile" did it then work normally?

Somewhere along the continuum of friction loss over time, the clutch surely met factory specs. ;D

The clutch-style-posi clutches have a relatively short life span..period. Many a dif I've torn down to discover a posi center I never expected was even there.

gambling209

bad shoe, on here sells a video that tells how to setup a 9 in rear. on that he covers setting up a traction lock. there is a tool for setting up clutches, but he shows how to get by without it. my last one I setup, I drove everyday for ten years. it worked as good the day I got rid of it as day I built it. people are always wanting to give them a bad rap. never been my experience. but my ride is not a crawler.